Logo

1978 evinrude 55hp water coming from lower unit

M

markkporter

This outboard motor runs and p

This outboard motor runs and performs excellent but water seems to be coming from every seem above the propeller. Water pumps through the nipple where it is supposed too as well as every where else.How do I remove the lower unit to check the impeller and stop the leaks? I removed every bolt on the lower unit and nothing budged so obviously I am missing something!

"I am also new to outboards, a

"I am also new to outboards, and I recetly bought a 1976 55 HP.

I bought a service manual off ebay for about $20.00, which I recommend for you also.

To seperate the lower unit you must remove the four bolts that are easy to see. You must also remove the Shift Rod to Lever Screw. It actualy looks like a bolt head to me, and it is located under the engine cover on the port (Left) side... about 2 inches ahead of the fuel connector.

Good luck."

"I should have also mentioned

"I should have also mentioned that once the 4 bolts are removed, you might have to use a rubber mallet to seperate the two units. The manual aso says to remove the "Trim tab" and the countersunk hex screw slightly ahead of the trim tab."

"Thanks Doug, Just the missing

"Thanks Doug, Just the missing link I needed. I have a repair manual on order but my kids have not allowed me to keep the boat out of the water untill it arrives. Thanks again!"

"IMHO, I would not check an im

"IMHO, I would not check an impeller, I would replace it. Even if it was OK to begin with, I am not sure a used one can be put back satisfactorily. They don't cost much. The leaks at the casing are a non-issue. I put a bead of Permatex around mine on an install, but it really isn't necessary."

Back