Logo

Flywheel removal

rainman5

Contributing Member
"I have a 1982 80 HP Mercury o

"I have a 1982 80 HP Mercury outboard that has wires that are brittle under the flywheel. I need to know what type puller I need to rent or buy to remove it. My Clymer manual doesnt show much at all on this. Looks like these wires are 14 gauge, planning on going to Radio Shack to find the right colors to splice in. Any help would be appreciated
Thanks
Raymond"

Those wires go to your stator

Those wires go to your stator and trigger. You may not be able to splice them. To remove the flywheel i've always used a harmonic balancer remover with no problem. Available at your local auto parts store.

"Thanks IBNFISHIN, Do you thin

"Thanks IBNFISHIN, Do you think I can buy a wiring harness for this, or do they come with the stator and trigger?
Raymond"

"the stator and trigger are se

"the stator and trigger are separate items, probably about $350 worth. It would be best to try and salvage what you have. On my merc, about that age, there are 2 bolts out of maybe 10 holding the flywheel to the base assembly that have locking washers under the head. Those are the 2 used to bolt the puller to. Use grade 8 bolts, that flywheel is on tight."

"Raymond/JB - read your posts

"Raymond/JB - read your posts here - was thinking that if your wires are simply losing their plastic casings, perhaps you could simply cover them with shrink tube and get them sealed back up.

Never tried it, but think it should keep the moisture out and prevent grounding or arcing..."

"Some of these wires were so b

"Some of these wires were so brittle that broke into just by touching. I have a puller and grade 8 bolts, Will check this out in a bit. I am trying to get this boat going for a friend it has some sentimental value to her. I know it may cost more to get it going than it may be worth.
Thanks"

Careful how you pull that. Don

Careful how you pull that. Dont flex the wheel at all. The merc tool grabs the threads inside the wheel and pushes off the crank.

"when I tool all the bolts off

"when I tool all the bolts off, the flywheel came of with no pulling or anything I was suprised. Once I got the flywheel of I knew I have to replace the stator there isnt enough left on a couple of them to even splice. I was told by the Mercury dealer that these had to be replaced with another part # the wires had turned a bluish green and brittle. Thanks for all the help"

"if you removed all the bolts

"if you removed all the bolts that hold the flywheel together, you really didn't do it right. The inner hub is still bolted to the crank, right. I hope you marked the inner hub to the flywheel or else the magnets on the flywheel won't be in time with everything else."

"Oh _ _ _ _ I thought I was do

"Oh _ _ _ _ I thought I was doing so good, I marked the flywheel I think at the pointer but not the inner hub to the flywheel. Now what do I do"

"I went out and saw what I did

"I went out and saw what I did wrong. I was only supposed to take 2 bolts out, put the puller on, put 2 longer bolts back in, unscrew the large nut screw down on the center bolt to remove the flywheel and hub together. I guess now the timing will be off? I feel so stupid now!
Raymond"

"Ray, You can easily reinstall

"Ray, You can easily reinstall the outer flywheel in the correct place. Simply set the top piston to top dead center (TDC), and then place the outer flywheel on the inner flywheel and rotate it until it indicates TDC on the timing mark and timing pointer. Now bolt it on.

Remember the outer flywheel can only go on in one of 8 positions. Each position repesents a 45 degree difference. You can easily tell if the piston is at TDC or before or after TDC by 45 degrees."

"I has going to tell you how t

"I has going to tell you how to put it back together, just wanted you to sweat a bit.
lame.gif
"

Back