Logo

Considering buying 1988 Maxum w 85 hp Force

"Hi Graham and Robert,
The t

"Hi Graham and Robert,
The tilt / trim is worth every penny if you ask me. Tilting those monsters are a real pain even with a tilt persuader bar!
Graham, your comment on t/t install, "and you have to get the motor off the bracket to install power trim/tilt", may not be the case. I was able to install an '89 Force 85 Hp t/t on my '84 Chrysler 90 Hp without changing the standard brackets. It was just a matter of taking components off the Force brackets and installing onto the Chrysler brackets.
Richard Rittenburg (thanks Richard) had a PDF available describing the "how to" of it.
All the bolt holes were already in the Chrysler brackets. I did have to make a wear plate for the trim ram as the setup I purchased did not include it. The standard manual reverse latch and tilt latch had to be removed then it was a matter of removing the shafts and installing the parts in the correct sequence. The tilt pivot shaft is not removed.
Hope this helps,
DS
374654.jpg
Tilt Trim

Robert....good ol ebay have tr

Robert....good ol ebay have trims from time to time. There was even a guy on there who was selling rebuilt ones for less than $400 or $500. Come spring you'll start seeing more and more stuff going off. They look a lot better than the aftermarket ones like CMC do too.

Jack

My 2 cents -

assumming that both boats have solid hulls and that both motors have been properly maintained and display equal compression.

if you are mechanically skilled, plan to do your own maintenance, and wish to minimize the cost of ownership then buy the force.

if you plan to have a marina do the work and wish to minimize cost of ownership then buy the johnnyrude.

Back