Logo

Mariner 45HP 4cyl Wonbt Start

T

Terry Smith

"1986 model - always started e

"1986 model - always started easily but only sat for 1-yr before, sat covered for 2 yrs, now will not start with fresh fuel. Uses Autoblend unit to mix oil in fuel line (left that alone so far). Removed and cleaned both carbs. Fuel flows to carbs. Plugs like new, have spark on all cyls. Compression seems OK when turning flywheel. What could have changed in the engine while sitting?"

"Terry, if you are certain tha

"Terry, if you are certain that fuel is getting to the carbs, spark and compression is good, you need to confirm that the fuel is in fact getting to the cylinders.

Are the plugs wet after you try and start?"

"Graham, I was wrong about the

"Graham, I was wrong about there being spark. I put a timing light on each plug wire and found that there is only a spark right when I turn off the key. I removed the flywheel and inspected the magnets and inductive pickups - all looks OK physically. I re-seated both inline fuses, still no spark. What can vibrate loose or fail in the ignition system after the last use?"

"Terry, what you describe abov

"Terry, what you describe above may tend to indicate a problem outside of the engine.

"spark right when I turn the key off"

I would disconnect the main wiring harness (that goes up to the shifter/console), use the rope start and recheck the spark with the timing light. If you have power then you can concentrate on the ignition switch, which may be faulty."

Back