Logo

Ford 302 Overheating

mike77cj

Regular Contributor
"OK, here's the deal, my g

"OK, here's the deal, my grandfather's 1994 SB Ford / OMC Cobra setup is overheating. I'm thinking I should post this thread in the OMC board, but I greatly respect the talent in this forum. PLUS, didnt VP buy OMC around '94 thereby making this kind-of legit to do?

First day in the water (July 5th) the boat overheats. I go down, and the first thing I do is pull the t-stat to check it out. It looks fine. Run the boat w/o the t-stat and it does not overheat when run in the 700-2200 RPM range. Once over 2200 she heats up to 220 quickly. My grandfather informed me the boatyard replaced the water pump in the drive this spring before he picked the boat up from them.

I then pull the risers and manifolds (orig) and they are junk. We had to wait until LAST WEEK to get a new aftermarket pair from GLM. They are the only ones that cast them for this oddball engine / S/D setup and the OEM parts were going to run us a small fortune. Last night I put them on and the engine and installed a new t-stat.

The engine does not overheat between the 700-2200 RPM range, but once above 2200 RPM the temp. skyrockets.

The circulating pump does not appear to be weeping any water and it's pulley does not wabble. I removed the outlet hose from the pump and briefly ran the engine noting good flow.

I also removed the raw water line running to the thermostat housing from the outdrive and briefly ran the engine. Again I noted decent water flow.

I have not yet pulled the power steering heat exchanger to see if there is some sort of blockage (seaweed, barnacles) prohibiting the proper water flow to the engine at higher RPMs.

I am not sure what else I can check here. We are going to pull the boat this weekened and I hope to find that the boatyard never replaced the water pump in the drive.

Does anyone have any ideas here? Thank you!"

"You seem to have a water rest

"You seem to have a water restriction problem.

I would make sure that:

1) The water inlet screen (part 3) in the outdrive to make sure it is clear.

http://www.boatparts.ca/omc-cobra-parts/lower_unit_drawings.html

2) The circulating pump belt is not loose.

3) The circulating pump is internally in good condition.

4) That there is no clogged water strainer installed in the suction line, or a clogged oil/power steering cooler.

5) That the engine cooling passages are clear."

"also check for pices of old i

"also check for pices of old impeller, if the boatyard did replace the impeller and didnt get all the old vanes out, ive seen that..........."

Back