Logo

1988 57L OMC Ignition Upgrade Qbs

undermployd

"Hi All -
New to this board,

"Hi All -
New to this board, but hoping for some guidance/recommendations.
I have a 1988 Sylvan Barritz with the 5.7L OMC Cobra engine/outdrive, and was wanting to get a bit more power & economy out of it. I talked to my older brother about this, and he suggested searching for a Delco Voyager ignition conversion kit, as he developed the advance curve for this system when he was working with GM's Marine Motorsports Division developing the Yamaha outdrives. Problem is, I have not seen any Voyager kits available anymore, and I can't tell if they were ever available for OMC. I have seen several other conversion kits available for my Prestolite (points & screw-on cap) distributor, but I couldn't find any information on the timing advance curves for these kits. What would you recommend as a conversion kit?
My next question is in regard to the shift interrupter on this boat. When it is cold, I have to shut it off to shift it into neutral (both from forward or reverse), then restart it. After it has been run awhile, the interrupter appears to start working, as the engine stumbles slightly when I shift, as I understand it should. Does this sound like it needs a new module, a micro switch going bad, shift cable adjustment, or ?????

Thanks in Advance !!!"

mallory makes several distribu

mallory makes several distributors for your application including a direct replacement for delco voyager.
2. could be any of those. test and see. don't neglect checking the overstroke cam adjustments.

Back