Logo

Thermostats

briang0

Regular Contributor
My 1964 cs280 409 v8 doesn&#39

My 1964 cs280 409 v8 doesn't have a thermostat nor does it have a place for one. The housing on top of the motor is made up of 2 pieces. In the spot where the thermostat would logically go is a 1/2 moon shaped piece of metal that is part of the upper and lower housing. This makes only half the hole size open. Under all of that is where the "automobile thermostat could go but I remember reading in these fourms that it is not suppose to go there. Any ideas I have a service manual but it isn't much help on that. The engine runs cool now that I have all the kinks out of it and that's probably not good either. Ideas??????

"I was in kindergarten in &#39

"I was in kindergarten in '64 but could you use a later moder housing? If not, I would put it in the "automotive" location. I don't know why it doesn't belong there, providing it doesn't limit cooling water to your exhaust system. All RWC marine engines locate the thermostat in the automotive location, on the intake manifold."

"Me too. I don't remember

"Me too. I don't remember where I read it but I read it somewhere. Anyway, I will take a look for a different housing like everything else not many options. I took a look at the diagrams for the engine in the service manual and they show a thermostat in the hose going to the exhaust manifolds. That won't work in my application my manifolds are raw water cooled. I have seen 160 degree thermostats at the auto parts store so I'll try that options. It is just another project to add for the winter months.
"

Oh one more thing there is no

Oh one more thing there is no bypass on the fresh water pump so won't there be a problem when the thermostat is closed???? Or is there a special type of thermostat that I need?

Back