Logo

Sea rayder how to start a cold engine

G

Gary Fletcher

I cant get my boat to start it

I cant get my boat to start it turns over but wont start is there anything that I can buy...like a fuel spray? Its a mercury 175 jet 1998.

"Gary you have to start from s

"Gary you have to start from scratch and diagnose the problem systematically. The best place to start is compression then make sure you have a good strong spark. If both of those are good then you look at the fuel delivery system. Checking the lines,filters,tank etc. You then need to ensure carbs/jets are clean, may need a carb job. Anyways start with the basics and report back.

Cheers Norm"

Do you have a manual??? Can yo

Do you have a manual??? Can you describe EXACTLY how you are trying to start the motor! Many times starting problems can be traced to the operator " did not know how to start the motor " and i have seen it many times.

early models used a fuel bulb

early models used a fuel bulb to prime. later they added an electric primer pump. which do you have?

"I have a 1996 Sea Rayder 120

"I have a 1996 Sea Rayder 120 H. I need help with the electrical. It seems someone was in there and altered it, so I need the original wiring diagram."

I'm having a very similar

I'm having a very similar problem. When cold the engine turns over but wont start. I have to spray some carb cleaner in the carb and then it will fire up. When the engine is warm it'll fire right up. The fuel line doesnt have a bulb to prime so i assume it have a electric pump primer. The engine is a 175 XR2 sportjet (sea rayder boat.) If anyone has any suggestions on how to solve this problem it'd be greatly appreciated.

"I don't know these models

"I don't know these models, but I heard a tale recently of a similar nature. He found out eventually that you actually push the key in to prime the engine before starting. Obvious when you know it I guess...."

Back