Logo

Correct timing for 82 MPI

scott_duerring

Regular Contributor
"Does anybody know the correct

"Does anybody know the correct timing for a Crusader 8.2 MPI electronic fuel injected engine manufactured in 1999? Local certified Crusader mech. says his manual indicates 10 degrees BTDC, sticker on engine says 10 degrees, but technician on phone at Crusader/pleasurecraft facility says his specs indicate 8 degrees. Also if I advance from 10 to 8 degrees will that increase my idle speed to any degree?"

"Crusader
IGNITION TIMING &

"Crusader
IGNITION TIMING **SEE NOTE**
*GM With Mallory or Prestolite Distributor
(‘99-NEWER; BREAKERLESS, 5.0L/5.7L)

HO ENGINE
3° BTDC

GM With Mallory Distributor (POINTS)
5.0L/5.7L/7.4L 10° BTDC 8.2L 8° BTDC

GM With Prestolite Distributor (POINTS OR B.I.D.)
5.0L/5.7L/7.4L 10° BTDC 8.2L 2° BTDC

GM With Delco Distributor (POINTS OR E.S.T.)
5.0L/5.7L/7.4L 10° BTDC 8.2L 8° BTDC

*NOTE* Ignition Timing On All GM Point Equipped Engines Must Be Set At 600 - 700 RPM. *Ignition Timing On All GM 5.0L/5.7L With Breakerless Distributor Equipped
Engines Must Be Set At 4000 RPM @ 26° BTDC For HO Engines. Ignition Timing On All GM With Delco EST Distributors, Must Be Set With The Spark Advance
Disabled. Ignition Timing On All GM EFI Engines, thru ‘01 Model Year, Must Be Set With The Engine ECM in “Service Mode”. CAM Retard Must Be Set At Idle
RPM (650 - Non-Adjustable) And Requires a Special Diagnostic Scan Tool. ALWAYS REFER TO APPROPRIATE CRUSADER MANUALS FOR DETAILED SERVICE
PROCEDURES AND SERVICE PARTS FOR THE MODEL OF CRUSADER ENGINE BEING SERVICED.
10/04"

"THANK YOU...
I am mystified.

"THANK YOU...
I am mystified. TWO crusader certified mechanics have timed my engines wrong. While in my younger days I spent plenty of time in the engine compartment of a '69 Camaro SS and a '67 Pontiac GTO, I am a certified nuthin and hung up my timing light when the engines had computers and turbos stuck on them in the early eighties and the engine compartments looked like an overweight person in stretch pants.. even I can read the above page and figure out it is 8 degrees... and on top of it all these guys charge 80 bucks an hour..."

"Scott,

This information is

"Scott,

This information is right from Crusaders Premium Dealer website.

I hope you still have that old timing light.

Good luck,
Rick"

"Thanks again Rick,
So whatay

"Thanks again Rick,
So whatayathink? If I advance the timing from 10 to 8 degrees BTDC aside from being the correct timing, will that give me some more RPMs at idle?"

.."If I advance the timing

.."If I advance the timing from 10 to 8 degrees BTDC "

Huh? That's assbackwards. Very little difference in only 2 degrees.

JEff

"Sounded the same to me... but

"Sounded the same to me... but the guy at Crusader/Pleasurecraft said "advance"... I asked him that going down was "retard" wasnt it? and he said "advance"... soooo called him again after I got your response, he said going from 10 to 8 advances the piston up the cylinder 2 degrees BTDC... ??????????
Unfortunately I do not remember enough about timing to debate that with someone who's job it is to know. But what little I do recall is that reducing the degrees does bring the piston closer to the top... is that retard or advance? dunno anymore.
All I am looking for right now is to give the engine a little more rpms at idle, which is hard to do with a non adjustable idle design... any input on that would be very helpful. I have two "gremlins" left it seems.
1. Set the correct timing from 10 to 8.
2. Low fuel pressure. Tested fuel pressure, had 38 psi supposed to have 43 to 45, plus needle fluctuated up and down, put new pump in last night, still low, only gained 1 psi, now at 39 psi but eliminated fluctuation. Again any help on finding the source of my low pressure would be greatly appreciated.

Scott"

"Increasing degrees BTDC advan

"Increasing degrees BTDC advances the time of ignition of fuel air mixture, reducing degrees retards it... advance/retard is relative to time of ignition to piston position, not just piston position, you were right Jeff not that I doubted you, but I certainly got confused... not to mention the Crusader guy????"

"Scott,

The idle stop on yo

"Scott,

The idle stop on your throttle body is adjustable. That stop is actually an allen screw (Crusader does not tell you this) but if your only problem is low idle, adjust that stop. Also try unplugging the vacuum line from the fuel pressure regulator and see if it makes any difference in the pressure. It doesn't sound like a filter since it is low at idle, but it could be the regulator."

"Well, found my trusty timing

"Well, found my trusty timing light, thirty five years old and still works. Trotted off to time my engine, and what a surprise. What an absence of markings to figure out where the metal pointer should be pointing to. My engine has a metal pointer attached to the block, the front fly wheel has a single machined line in it... not a single other mark. One of the prior mechanics used a magic marker and drew a line with 10 degrees by it. I am assuming the machined line is 0 degrees? The magic marker was to the right of the line if you faced the engine. What the heck happened to the degrees marks that used to be engraved on the pointer? How accurate can a "magic marker" be? It really seemed mickey mouse... There was a piece of white tape on the pulley but that did not line up with anything so I ignored it.. anyone know how to get more accurate markings? I guessed that 8 degrees was slightly off of the the 10 degree magic marker mark closer to what I assumed was the 0 degree mark."

"I have 78 crusader 5.7 260&#3

"I have 78 crusader 5.7 260's and on the fly wheel bell housing there is a access hole with a rubber cover in it, that also has timing marks and also indicates direction of rotation. In 21 years they may changed a few things though."

"No rust, my engine is still t

"No rust, my engine is still that pretty blue. Just no marks other than the groove that is unidentified. It looks as if one of the mechanics improvised with the magic marker, how do I confirm that it is correct? Is there some measurement I can make from the groove to mark off 8 degrees?"

Single marks are common as the

Single marks are common as the new timing lights (Sorry Scott)can be set to compensate. This allows you to set your light to the desired setting and adjust the timing so the line on the balancer aligns with the line on the timing cover.

"Thanks Rick, I will be headin

"Thanks Rick, I will be heading to the auto parts store for one of those new lights.. suppose I can sell my old one for an antique?
Crusader now suggests I do a "Cylinder Balance" test to determine if I have a weak cylinder... any suggestions on the best way to perform such a test? Can't I just pull a spark plug wire and see if it affects how the engine runs?"

Back