Logo

Oil injection

jsalduchi

"Hey everyone,
I just bought

"Hey everyone,
I just bought a bass boat with a 150 Mariner (1985) outboard engine on it. I'm trying to figure out how the fuel and oil mix. I do not see a seperate container on the engine anywhere where the oil would be stored. On top of the engine there is a 1 inch but and some direction to turn nut 1/4 turn and add oil until horn sounds? It says use Quicksilver 50-D or an approved TC-W oil. I know many 2 cycle outboards mix oil with the fuel but with it saying oil injection on the cover I'm led to believe it mixes itself? Does anyone think they can help out?
Thanks"

"Angelo, believe this model wo

"Angelo, believe this model would have had an oil tank (outside the engine) which you would fill which would then keep a small oil tank (engine mounted) filled for the oil injection.

There is a good chance on a 22 year old motor that someone along the line removed it because of either problems or "lack of trust" with the system.

These are/were somewhat expensive to repair compared to the cost of simply blocking off the lines and running mixed gas...

This link will show you all the oil injection components for your model. If you don't have them, it's obviously been removed and you will have to mix gas at 50:1 in the tank...

www.mercruiserparts.com/Show_Pictures3.asp?dnbr=818855&ivar=images/MERMAR/818855 /57.png&inbr=575&bnbr=300&bdesc=OIL+INJECTION+COMPONENTS"

These motors came with an oil

These motors came with an oil injection system where the pump was driven by a plastic gear on the crankshaft ( yes plastic )so the best bet is to run 50:1 and sleep at night.

Back