Logo

1960 Evinrude 40 Electrical help neededIm stumped

mike

Regular Contributor
" I am having a big problem wi

" I am having a big problem with my starting system.I have replaced both battery cables ,and bypassed the battery cable from the solenoid to the starter.I have a tested starter ,and a tested solenoid both ok.When I turn the key the solenoid clicks as it should but gets no power to the starter side(the guy at the boat shop said he tested it and got the power to the other side).Joe I tried the bypass trick with no change.Does this sound like a bad groung somewhere? Someone at the boat shop said there is a safety switch up by the flywheel somewhere that might cause this problem.I have taken off the electrical plug that goes from the electric box to the side of the engine case and cleaned the contacts in there .I know I have missed something but do not know what to try next.Where are the grounds I should check(or bypass).And if anyone has any other ideas they would be greatly appreciated.Mike "

"Mike... From what you've

"Mike... From what you've said, I'm assuming that you have a different, known to be good, electric starter and solenoid installed on your engine, but when you turn the key to the start position, the starter doesn't spin fast and/or engage the flywheel.

The safety switch you mention is a "make/break" ground circuit for the grounding side of the starter solenoid. The fact that the solenoid clicks proves that the safety switch is either okay, or does not exist and has that ground wire go directly to ground instead of a switch.

Use a voltmeter, set at some setting whereas you can obtain a clear 12 volt reading. Attach the red lead to the starter stud/nut. Attach the black lead to any good powerhead ground. Have someone attempt to crank the engine while you observe the voltage reading. MOve the red lead to the starter side of the solenoid and check that reading. Move the red lead to the other side of the solenoid (the battery side) and check that voltage. Let me know what those reading were, and from where.

Joe
"

" Joe I have done what you sai

" Joe I have done what you said and it shows 12 volts on the battery side of the solenoid,when we turn the key the starter side of the solenoid shows 12 and the terminal on the side of the starter shows 12 volts.This morning the starter turned for a few tries then back to just a solenoid click.Is this a intermittently bad starter? thanks ,Mike "

"Mike... If the voltage is ind

"Mike... If the voltage is indeed 12v at the starter terminal when you have the key turned to the start position, and the starter will not operate, the starter is faulty. Retry the battery cable jumper setup... running a red cable directly from the battery 12v+ post to the starter terminal, and the black battery cable directly from the battery 12v- post to the starter casing. If that starter doesn't operate with that direct connection, the starter is absolutely faulty (assuming the battery and cables are tip top condition).

Joe
"

" Thanks Joe,I will be trying

" Thanks Joe,I will be trying that tommorow,looks like I need another starter again though.Does the bracket ground the starter?Mike "

"Mike.... The starter self gro

"Mike.... The starter self grounds via the bolts into the crankcase (block).

Joe
"

Back