Logo

99 Merc forward gear

J

Jim Whittman

I have a 9.9 outboard that act

I have a 9.9 outboard that acts like the prop spun a hub but the prop and hub are good. When you put it in forward gear it will idle fine but when you give it the gas it starts slipping? Any ideas? When I put it in forward gear I can spin the prop by hand clockwise and get a clicking sound. Reverse locks up tight forward and reverse. I have a 15 HP that does the same thing but goes fine. Thanks

Are you sure the prop is good?

Are you sure the prop is good? It takes a fair bit of force to spin it when it is spun. You can double check it by marking the spline then the hub of the prop and see if the marks are aligned after a load test. Or try a different prop. It just really sounds like its spun.

Thanks. I marked it and ran it

Thanks. I marked it and ran it in a trash can of water but that wasn't smart. Blew out all the water. Nothing hurt but my pride. I will put it in the water and test under load . Then I will Check. Will let you know. Thanks again.

The bets are a spun hub. Most

The bets are a spun hub. Most motors will give you the clicking in forward and spinning the prop clockwise.That part is absolutely normal.

"Jim ... sorry to hear about t

"Jim ... sorry to hear about the trash can
rofl.gif
. If you put the boat in the water I would try a different prop. At least if thats it you can stay and still enjoy your day and bring the old one in for repairs later.
sun.gif
"

Back