Logo

98 50 HP Honda motor Carburator frustrations

desertmariner

" Hi, I'm having some trou

" Hi, I'm having some trouble getting one of three carbs to perform on this outboard. The engine sat for a couple of years so i dedided to take the carbs apart and clean em up. The one on the top can't pass the "disconnect the spark plug and let's see if this cylinder run's rough test". I swapped it with the middle cylinder carb and it proves out to be the carb for sure. Sooo, heres my question. What kind of carb cleaner can i use that won't mess up the o rings or internal gaskets on this puppy. or am i missing something that's not so obvious. also where could i buy a new/used carb? Any help would be appreciated.thanks in advance "

" I'm not very up on 4 str

" I'm not very up on 4 strokes, but I do know it is very important to have the carbs syncronized. This is done by adjusting the intake manifold vacuum, and you need special test equiptment for this. My advise would be to take it to a Honda dealer or someone who knows how to set this motor up properly. Then take your boat out and enjoy the waterways. "

" Best carb cleaner I've f

" Best carb cleaner I've found (and use exclusively) is Berryman's B-12 made by Chemtool. Wal-mart carries it, and some auto supply places like Checker Auto. Comes in both spray and liquid. Your low speed ciruit is probably clogged up. "

" Best carb cleaner I've found (and use exclusively) is Berryman's B-12 made by Chemtool. Wal-mart carries it, and some auto supply places like Checker Auto. Comes in both spray and liquid. Your low speed ciruit is probably clogged up. "

" Hi, thanks for the replys. e

" Hi, thanks for the replys. especially the 5 from barrymarine.lol. I'll go to my super wal mart and get some b12, rich "

the final solution..... I too

the final solution..... I took the baby apart for the third time ( and of course three's a charm). I let it soak in a carb cleaner and took extra care in blowing it out several times with compressed air. she now starts and idle's fine. wide open the engine get's up to about 6000 rpm. I run it at about 5000 and everyone seems happy. thanks again ....Rich

"talked to a Honda mechanic

"talked to a Honda mechanic and he said the throttle jets , have hair line cracks in them ..
Honda doesn't know why .. but change them out , and put new ones in [3] and all will be well I'm having it done as we speak
cb"

Back