Logo

Dirty water spray in engine compartment

cbell2112

"I own a 2004 23' Chaparra

"I own a 2004 23' Chaparral with a 5.7 Volvo Penta i/o. Boat currently only has 50 hours on it. Noticed some strange gurgling noises coming from the engine compartment. When I opened it up, muddy water is spraying all over the engine compartment. The belt was basically dripping/spraying water all day. Boat seems to run fine otherwise but there is obviously a problem.

I've had a few instances of the engine compartment filling with rain water to the bottom of the engine due to the bilge not working properly. I suspect that I have a problem with a bad hose in the cooling system but can't see precisely where that water is coming from. Any ideas on what might be going on?"

"Charles, likely sources of wa

"Charles, likely sources of water ingress include a leaky transom shield, a leaky raw water pump seal or cover, a leaky plug in a heat exchanger or oil/power steering cooler, cooling hoses (either cracked or loose hose clamps), exhaust manifold and risers, thermostat housing, raw water strainer, the bottom of the Y-pipe in the area where it attaches to the transom shield, and a loose transom drain plug. Clearly, the water will be muddy if the bilge is dirty.

The first thing you may want to consider is drying the bilge thoroughly, then look at the above possible sources of water ingress and see if you can pinpoint where it comes from. A mirror with an telescopic arm may be helpful.

In addition of looking for the leak, I think you should install a reliable bilge pump with a float switch and keep it in "auto". That water (especially if salt water) splashing around will not do any good to your engine, alternator, etc, and will pit/corrode the pulleys, and the pulleys will then eat the belts in no time."

"sounds like the plate on your

"sounds like the plate on your raw water pump, the one down on the crank shaft pully, has cracked or warped. it could possibly be a hose as el has said, also a bleed hole on your engine water pump can drain down on the serp belt. if its a crack you may be able to find it with the engine off, the earmuffs on the drive intake and your home water turned on. most home water systems are at 25-50psi, should be more then enough. try that but i dont know everything, just trying to share."

Back