Logo

Removing Engine and Upper drive unit

jon_allen

Regular Contributor
"Hi All,
I plan on removing m

"Hi All,
I plan on removing my 350 V/P motor and DP 290 upper drive to repl a rotted oil pan . Has anyone ever used an automotive type engine crane on the deck to do this? Also when re-assembling how is the engine to drive alignment checked ? If out of alignment will it destroy the gimbal bearing like a Mercruiser?
Thank You. Jon Allen"

"John, here is a picture showi

"John, here is a picture showing what I used to lift my 350. Maybe a bit of overkill, but it worked.
87999.jpg

I don't think that a normal engine hoist on the deck will work, I have one and I was unable to use it.

Unlike Mercruisers, there is no alignment to check after assembly: once the bellhousing is tightly attached to the block, the primary shaft is aligned. However, you meed to check that the marks in the bellhousing match the ones in the transom shield (see picture) to ensure the engine is not tilted to either side.

88000.jpg

I assume that the mounts height has been correct during all these years, so as long as you don't change it you just drop the engine with the bellhousing, tighten the transom shield clamp, tighten the mounts' upper nuts, and off you go."

"El Pescador,
Thanks again fo

"El Pescador,
Thanks again for you help. You are very knowledgable and very generous. After spending a few yrs with my Volvo I would never consider going back to a Merc. I do have a small engine crane that might do the trick, the boat is a 24 Albemarle. If that crane in your photo were to show up in my driveway my wife would dismember me. Thank You very much. Jon Allen"

"Jon, thank you for your kind

"Jon, thank you for your kind words. I was thinking that if your engine crane does not do the trick, you can always trailer your boat (I assume it is on a trailer) to a shop where they can remove the engine with a hoist an put it in the box of a pick-up (either yours -if you are using one to tow your boat-, your neighbour's, your fishing buddy's, any pick-up you can get hold of). Then, you can remove the engine from the pick-up with your engine hoist (that, I have done as well) and set it on an engine stand (if you have one) so that you can replace the oil pan and seal. Afterwards, just reverse the process and go should be back to boating in a day or two.
biggrin.gif
"

Back