Logo

82 jOHNSON 115 REBUILD OR NOT TO REBUILD

T

Thom Hans

" Hi
I have a 82 johnson 115

" Hi
I have a 82 johnson 115 v4 I just found 75 psi on all cylinders except #1 which has about 5 psi. I am a competent auto mechanic, How hard is it to pull the pwerhead and rebuild the motor? Should I bore all cylinders or just the bad one? How do I tell if the bearings are good or bad? Is it worth it? I really would rather spend $500 to $750 rebuilding this motor than buying another used (and abused) motor for $1000 to $2000. Is this a correct way of thinking? "

" Your 82 engine V-4 has the s

" Your 82 engine V-4 has the same parts (crank,rods,pistons and bearings) as the 90hp -140hp from 79 to the mid nineties. The unit is very well built and used parts are plentiful.The fault lies in the "pressure back rings".So having said that, tear it down to evaluate the parts and decide on the path forward. Keep in mind that repairs to the lower unit can also be expensive and myself would not rebuild that power head without a tear down of the lower unit and new seals and water pump.If the motor has been treated properly over the years you may only need to install new rollers on the big end of the rod and to update the wrist pin bearing to a new style bearing with more needles . "

" I have a Johnson 1980 115 HP

" I have a Johnson 1980 115 HP,and I need to know the spark plug and gap correct "

Back