Logo

EV Cly Head installation

G

Gary G

" I know you should never use

" I know you should never use gasket sealer on a head gasket but what about the water cover gasket, on the head. Do you recommend gasket sealer?? "

" Gary,

I always use a litt

" Gary,

I always use a little gasket sealer on the water jacket gasket, just in case there may be some scratches on the mating surfaces. A minor drip can be a nuisance here, especially if the spark plug or igniton wire gets wet.

I place the gasket on a piece of cardboard and paint sealer on liberally, then I turn it over and do the same on the other side. Then I take a putty knife and run it over the gasket, removing the excess sealer on both sides. This leaves an even, thin coat of sealer. Don't be afraid to put some pressure on the putty knife. You want to be left with a thin coat of sealer. You can go over each side with the putty knife a few times if you like.

I always use Permatex. It comes in a plastic jar, and the cap is an applicator. I know many people would disagree, but I use this on just about everything, ignoring the special types of sealers designed for certain applications. I even use this for crankcase surfaces instead of gel-seal. I have never had any problems.

By the way, some head gaskets do call for sealer. It pays to check the factory service manual for recommendations here. I don't think it hurts to use a light coat of sealer on head gaskets around the water jackets if you think the surfaces are scratched or worn. Just make sure that the sealer is not going to get into the cylinders where it may cause problems.

Tony "

" OMC (Johnson/Evinrude&#4

" OMC (Johnson/Evinrude) use to say do not use sealer on head gaskets. But when we use to pull the heads in a warranty situation, the head gaskets would have sealer on them from the factory. I asked our tech rep and he said that if the factory uses sealer, we should be able to use it also. I've been using sealer, on head gaskets, for years without any problems. "

I like using spray on sealer.

I like using spray on sealer. Is this just as effective???

" Gary,

I would use the spr

" Gary,

I would use the spray, but it is much more expensive over the long haul. Just make sure you do not use any kind of silicone.

Tony "

" Im kind of new to outboads,

" Im kind of new to outboads, so I have to ask the dumb question.

Why do you stay away from silicone?

Does it have any properties that are detrimental to aluminum parts. Does it tend to cause some other problems?

I have had pretty good luck with it in other applications and would not have batted an eye at the prospect of using it on an outboard until I read this string. I will certainly stay away from it if conventional wisdom says I should, but I have always had to ask that "why" question. "

People as a rule use far too

People as a rule use far too much sealer and it makes a mess and also can plug up passage ways and do things like hold thermostats open and also the poppit valves. I never use sealer on heads.The thing to do is to make sure the heads are flat.

" Johnnyboy,

Silicone has v

" Johnnyboy,

Silicone has very poor adhesion and can be completely pressed out of a joint with very little torque. I only use it when the two things being joined do not need to hold much pressure, and will not be tightened much. If I use it I apply it to the surfaces, loosely tighten the screws, and then let it cure completely before applying a little bit of torque. This allows the silicone to remain in the joint.

Tony "

Back