Logo

Freshwater to seawater

hbbutler

Im taking a vacation to Destin

Im taking a vacation to Destin in a couple of weeks and plan on taking my freshwater boat. Is there anything that I need to do to prepare it. Its a 4.3l mercruiser with alpha I drive.

You should put in a 140 degree

You should put in a 140 degree thermostat rather than 160 that is for fresh water. Flush the salt water out of the cooling system afer each run.

"water is pretty salty in the

"water is pretty salty in the Gulf and around Destin just make sure that you Flush the motor right after you take it out of the water, also spray everything down really good to get the salt water off including the trailer mainly the wheels and brakes.. you might want to even spray anything that can rust with some type of lube or silicone spray before you go..."

"Make sure you have all the op

"Make sure you have all the optional anodes installed on the outdrive; or install a Mercathode system. This will help to control drive corrosion.

Also, I would change your drive oil when you get back, to remove any salt water that may have got into it. If you have an engine mounted drive oil reservoir, this will help to assure that no water can leak into the drive.

Rod"

don't be afraid. just flus

don't be afraid. just flush her good after running. no need to change parts. enjoy yourself in FL.

I never said anything about th

I never said anything about the thermostat ohhh wait Eddie said something about it but you don't need to. the only thing that you need to worry about is the salt water and corrosion.. I used to live in Texas and would go to Destin every summer and never had any problems unless I didn't flush it good and spray everything down with fresh water. the salt will play hell on metal..

Back