Logo

Comparison Yamaha 2 stroke vs Johnson 2 stroke

• Thread starter Drew Schneiderbauer
  • Start date
D

Drew Schneiderbauer

"Hello, I have a chance to pur

"Hello, I have a chance to purchase one of the last new two stroke 9.9 outboards for my inflatible. I have the choice of either a Johnson or a Yamaha. Both are the same price. It appears the Johnson is the lighter of the two by seven lbs. I am wondering what the repair guys think. Thanks in advance
Drew"

I don't think weight is mu

I don't think weight is much of an issue as much as service. Out of curiousity how big is the boat and what is it rated for?

All things equal I like the Yami

The inflatable is a 10 ft. ach

The inflatable is a 10 ft. achilles rated for a 9.9 hp. Thanks all for the help it sounds like I go yami. Is the 100 to 1 mix for yami a wise thing to do? I think I will mix more oil than that.

"Well normal is 50:1, I person

"Well normal is 50:1, I personally am not a fan of 100:1 for the fisrt tank to break it in. I just go a little heavy say 75:1 and vary my speed for the whole tank. Pretty boring driving but pays off. Good luck

Cheers Norm"

"it is all about service<[img]

"it is all about service
biggrin.gif
"

Just brought the Yami home and

Just brought the Yami home and the manual states to run 24 to 1 the first tank. I'll be killing bugs for a while. Does anyone have an opinion on Amzoil products (2 stroke oil)? I got a gallon of yamalube with the outboard and I won't cheap out on lubricant but a few have said Amzoil is the real deal. Thanks Drew

"Man am I a loser Drew when I

"Man am I a loser Drew when I said 50:1 is normal and mix it a little heavier for the first tank. Don't know where my head was when i said 75:1 thats the wrong way!!! Meant to say more oil like 24:1, my apologies. Guess I was thinking about holidays! Anyways congrats on the new addition."

"Drew, I know a couple of guys

"Drew, I know a couple of guys that run the Amsoil - supposed to be so good that you can run 100:1 when it only calls for 50:1.

I don't buy into that unless they are willing to give me some signed paper saying they will fix the motor if it seizes.

These little 2 stroke 9.9's are just awesome engines that you really have to work at hard to kill - Yami also made about 80% of the components on the 9.9 Mercs as well (I have 2 of them 20 and 21 years old respectively).

Never any trouble, used in sometimes harsh conditions, nothing more than routine maint - plugs, impellers, lower gear oil.

However, Amsoil is a good product (including their gear oil), but personally don't think it's worth the 8 or 9 bucks a quart when I can pick up semi-sythetic for half that.

Bottom line, if you want to drain a few more bucks from your pocket for the Amsoil, that's personal choice - I would go with the Yami brand - or even a no name store brand as long as it's rated TC-W3 and I think you will be happy with the results..."

"Thanks for the advise on the

"Thanks for the advise on the oil. I haven't really checked the price of Amzoil so I might have got sticker shock. The gallon of Yamalube was Twenty six dollars so I thought how much more could Amzoil be. I will probably never run the yami at 100:1, that scares me, more like 75:1. It ran really great at 25:1 so I can wait to see it at 75:1. Drew"

"Drew its absolutely not desig

"Drew its absolutely not designed to run anything other than 50:1. Less oil than that and you would fry the motor. Just run a little more oil for that first tank (which takes an eternity to get through, especially varying the speed all the time) then your good with 50:1. My dealer actually even said the 24:1 was optional. Just take your time breaking it in and avoid full throttle for more than a couple minutes at a time.Drive it all over the place, slow ,med, and fast. But definitely run only 50:1 to ensure a motor that will give you years of enjoyment.

Cheers Norm"

Running any motor at 75;1 or 1

Running any motor at 75;1 or 100:1 is a mistake.Never mind the talk about "newer oils are better " .Quantity of oil allows bearings to set up the hydrodynamic wedge that keeps parts from touching.There is a reason some motors from the 50's are running like new at 24:1. Less than 2 cents worth of advice.

Thanks once more for the input

Thanks once more for the input. Why does Yamaha say to go to 100:1 after the first tank of 25:1 oil mix? Do they want to sell more outboards or keep the emissions down to meet some standards? I will do the 50:1 mix as I am uneasy with any thinner than that. There is a decal on the housing with a 100:1 mix. Still not doing it.
Drew

"Drew, OMC also had a number o

"Drew, OMC also had a number of engines that had recommendations of 100:1. The bearings etc that they used were supposed to be of such a quality that they could operate properly on "less oil".

However, they issued a bulletin (below) a few years after the fact.

You may get a bit more smoke at 50:1 (maybe) and you may get some oil foul on the plugs (which I get on my 87 EV with it's 100:1 sticker). But a fresh set of plugs each spring is alot cheaper than a seized engine.

88368.jpg
"

"I ran my 2nd-hand Yammy 25 19

"I ran my 2nd-hand Yammy 25 1993 2-stroke on 100-1, erring on the side of caution, at high speed (for hours!) and towing skurfers, idling at trolling speed, etc, for 12 years, about once a month or once a week or more in season, couldn't kill it. Meditteranean climate, though. Amazing motor. Good price on eBay when I sold her, too."

Back