Logo

Sears Tecumseh Ted Williams Issues

M

mmadden16

"I've got a Sears Ted Will

"I've got a Sears Ted Williams outboard with an air cooled 2 cycle Tecumseh that I'm trying to repair for a friend. The motor has been sitting for some time & the gas tank (gravity feed similar to your typical lawn mower) must have been rusted prior to his purchase of the motor. The motor has been converted to a romote tank, which doesnt seam right since their is no fuel pump on the motor. I started by cleaning the carb, changing the spark plug, checking compresion (120 psi) and cleaning & gaping the points to .020. The motor runs but doesn't seam to fire on every stroke, maybe every other or every third. It also runs the same with no response to jet adjustment unless they are completely closed or almost wide open. I've tried swaping carbs & it runs the same with both. I've checked the flywheel key & it isn't damaged. It doesn't seam to lean out like a bad crank seal would indicate. I'm going to try putting a timing light on it to see if it is firing on every stroke & go from there. Does anyone know if there is any timing marks hidden on these flywheels and/or does anyone have any other troubleshooting ideas????? I'd appreciate any help I could get. Thanks!!!"

"There IS a fuel pump. It is

"There IS a fuel pump. It is a little rubber thing that inserts in the flange between the carb and block. It is common for it to be torn, and the motor won't run. I haven't seen on in over 20 years, but that's how I remember it."

"external tanks are the best t

"external tanks are the best to use because the gas caps rot out and they help maintain 2 psi for the fuel pump is mounted on the side besides the carb and the diaphram does rot out so does the cas cap, impellor for water pump but you can get most parts on ebay or www3.sears.com"

its a tecumseh lawn mower engi

its a tecumseh lawn mower engine on top. if you can fix a lawnmower you will be an ace at these

Back