Logo

How many drains winterize

col_gino

I have a 1996 Maxum 1900 SR wi

I have a 1996 Maxum 1900 SR with a 4.3 L Mercruiser Gen+ (Vortec).

I am new to stern drives and need some winterizing help. Live in Canada so must be done right. Last shop in my area shut down so have to do it myself.

Have read quite a bit here about flushing with antifreeze and will do this.

I want to confirm how many drains are on my engine. I see 2 on the starboard side and 1 on the port. These are blue plastic thumbscrews. Is there anything else I need to drain? The previous owner told me this is all he drained but he kept it in a heated garage so less of an issue.

Thanks.

"There are two per side. One

"There are two per side. One for the manifold and one for the engine block.

Run the engine with muffs to warm the oil. Lube the gimbal bearing at idle with marine bearing grease and lube the other zerk fittings.

Remove the flame arrestor and spray fogging oil into the carb while keeping the RPMs up so it won't stall and shut the engine off when the engine starts to smoke.

Change the oil and filter. Remove the 4 drain plugs--HOT WATER, WEAR RUBBER GLOVES-- and use a 10" peice of heavy solder or other soft wire to probe the holes to get the debris out. Water should then come out in a solid stream.

Disconnect the top of the water circ. pump hose and hold it below the pump to drain it. Reinstall the four plugs snug, not tight. Pour a gallon of pink antifreeze into the big hose you just drained and reconnect it.

Now remove the four smaller hoses on the T'stat hsg. and pour 1/2 gallon of pink stuff into each one and reconnect. Remove the port side water inlet hose from the water circ. pump and pour 1/2 gallon of pink stuff into it.

If the OD has not been serviced this past year, remove it and lube the U-joints and inspect the gimbal bearing for wear and the bellows for cracks; repair/replace as needed. If the impeller is overdue for replacement (1-3 years), change it before changing the OD oil.

Drain the outdrive oil by removing the bottom fill screw and the upper vent screw. If there is an OD oil reservior, drain it. Using the correct OD oil and a quart bottle hand pump, attach the hose to the bottom drain hole and pump the oil into the drive from the bottom until it comes out the vent hole--install vent screw w/new gasket. Remove fill hose and install drain screw w/new gasket. Fill the reservior is equipped. It will burp out any air in the OD the first time you use it. Recheck the oil level.

Store the OD in the down position. Remove batteries and store above ground in the garage. Fill with distilled water and charge them. Use a trickle charger after that or recharge every 4-6 wks.

Open all of the storage compartments etc to allow ventilation.

Trailer: service the wheel bearings and check the brakes if equipped. Store trailer with wheels off the ground. Concrete blocks work. If you have a cheap boat cover, install shrink wrap per instructions. Don't park the boat under a tree or next to the house where a tree limb can fall and an ice cycle can puncture the cover.

Keep the snow buildup off of the cover or it will collapse."

"Great info, if I can add one

"Great info, if I can add one more thing that I did not know about batteries its this.
Store your fully charged batteries in a cold environment (ie unheated shed) and charge every few months. I was told holidays ie. storein fall charge at Christmas,Valentines,Easter etc.
The reasoning behind this is that as batteries sit there is a chemical reaction that slowly discharges the battery. If you keep the battery cold this process is slowed. According to the Battery Doctor (a canadian battery specialty co.) storing your batteries this way will increase the life of the battery 4 fold. News to me as I've always had them in a heated garage. Apparently a charged battery will not freeze. Anyways just some food for thought.

Cheers Norm"

Back