Logo

131a crapping out at 2800 rpm and up

"Okay this site has been a gre

"Okay this site has been a great help and I thought I had fixed everything.... another problem.On my way back in it started to miss,gradually got worse untill I couldn't get enough rpm to get up on plane.Runs great at low speed but at higher its like riding a horse"

What kind of ignition? Distrib

What kind of ignition? Distributor? If distributor is it electronic or points and condenser?

If it conventional.........try

If it conventional.........try a pertronix ignition. I have had no fail from this system. They are VERY reliable!!!!!

"I would go electronic........

"I would go electronic......... No fail, trust me.
Cancel the order and go pertronix."

"Gary,
Have you checked eve

"Gary,
Have you checked everything out first before throwing alot of money at it, adjust your points, timing, new plugs, fuel, and so on.. your motor needs to be running good before you put the pertronix system on there. but as Eric said Pertronix is the biggest bang for the buck on that motor. it will start, idle,and run soooo much better, best money I ever spent on my 86 bayliner W/ AQ131A"

"Thanx,Bill. Nice to have opin

"Thanx,Bill. Nice to have opinions of the same sort!!!!
Sounds like this is a case of switching out to electronic.Gary needs to think that way!
Seems like the points system is "crapping" out."

"Electronic ignition is not th

"Electronic ignition is not the answer to all problems. Provided all 'other' engine systems are functioning as they should, an electronic ignition is better than sliced bread. However, it will not cure a cracked distributer cap, faulty plug, faulty ignition wire, or a dirty or out of wack carb. Remember, a fuel supply deficiency normally shows up during periods of high demand. How about a faulty fuel pump?
Why do I know this??? I have just installed an electronic ignition. The engine starts and runs like a champ - for about 20 minutes - and then it runs like Gary's engine.

Fuel pump will be changed and the carbs will be taken off and cleaned.

Tom"

"A weak coil will have those s

"A weak coil will have those symtoms. First, see if you have good point gap and then change out the condenser. If that does not do it, get a new coil. Be sure to get the proper replacement coil. some require external ballast and some do not. When trouble shooting a problem it is good to not change out everything at once. That way you will know what went wrong."

"I had the same problem at abo

"I had the same problem at about 3000RPM. I switched to electronic ignition (pertronix, a new coil, and most importantly I re-terminated all electrical connections in the motor area, which gave me about 4 -5 more volts on the voltmeter, starts right away, and has never run better."

Electronic ingnition will not

Electronic ingnition will not give you anymore power than a properly running conventional distributor. I am not opossed to upgrading to an electronic ignition but it would be good to know where this particular problem is first.

""Have you checked everyth

""Have you checked everything out first before throwing alot of money at it, adjust your points, timing, new plugs, fuel, and so on.. your motor needs to be running good before you put the pertronix system on there.."

Like I said you need to find out if the problem is not somewhere else before doing anything..

pull your plugs and get a reading off of them to see what your motor is doing.

make sure your carb is working properly, acc pump, float level, mixture screw, flame arrestor..

check out your points and see what they look like, check the gap on them, check the timing, OHM out others, make sure your plug wires are good, cap good, rotor good, coil good.....

after all is check out ok then replace the ignition.. needs to be running properly before you upgrade parts plus what does a tune up kit cost these days $20 for points and Cond..

even if you replace the ignition, you still need a good cap, wires, and so on for the ignition to work properly

I would surely put it on after, worth every penny.."

"Well I threw a bunch of money

"Well I threw a bunch of money at it,cap,rotor,condensor,plugs,plug wires,checked the timeing,set the points.Took it out for a test and it is still doing it,really nocking and sputtering above 3000 rpm...now what"

gary have you checked the comp

gary have you checked the compression?? what does the plugs look like after the test run???

have you done anything to the

have you done anything to the carb?? while looking down into the carb pump the gas and look for a stream of fuel.. when was the last time you changed the fuel filters???

"Gary

this is from anothe

"Gary

this is from another post on this site :

start from the basics and start eliminating things from the equation, start with compression and work your way through everything.

Check compression on all cylinders if all OK
then check spark, points look ok
check the gap on them / good gap OK
check the coil / OHMS out ok and has good input and output
Check and OHM out the plug wires / Check OK
then check timing / checks out ok
then fuel make sure fuel pump is working properly / correct PSI OK
ACC.. pump / working properly OK
Mixture screw setting / setting OK

if everything checks out then your problem is intermittent or caused by heat
So now you have to bring the engine to temp and start your testing all over again..

Hope this helps and can understand the point I am trying to make..

Good Luck and don't worry with all the great people on this site you will figure it out.."

"I suspected the coil in the b

"I suspected the coil in the beginning. You did everything but the coil. Maybe, just maybe, you need a new coil. Be sure to get the correct coil. Some require external ballast resistance and some do not."

"wow all my friends said I wou

"wow all my friends said I would have to be a mechaniac to own a inboard,they were not kidding... rebuilding the carb tonight"

Back