Logo

VP fuel pump noise

rodger

"I bought a 2000 226 Cobalt 5

"I bought a 2000 226 Cobalt 5.7gsi ( 180 hrs ) earlier this year. The local dealer "checked " it out and did the annual service at that time ( including new fuel/water seperator filter). After the second trip out I noticed the "whistling" sound in the fuel pump that others have mentioned .The Pump also felt a little bit hot but I'm not sure how hot a properly functioning fuel pump should feel.I suspected some water in the tank . I replaced water seperator and it still made the same noise. I emptied it again and the noise stopped, only to return after about an hour of operating the boat. The boat runs fine . I have emptied the filter about a dozen times , usually it stops the noise , for a while. .The boat always runs fine,no missing,etc.I have run the boat for several hours with the whilstling noise and the pump has never overheated.Could this be related to the anti siphon valve or signs that the fuel pump is on its way out?"

"I'll bet there's way

"I'll bet there's way a bunch of too restrictive stuff before the fuel pump! Only a coarse separator should be before the pump, with ALL fine filters located after the pump.

Jeff

PS: Just yesterday I ran into yet another of these strangled fuel pump deals. "But...it's been that way for a year?" Uh-huh. He got away with it for a year, thats all."

"If a fuel pump makes a noise.

"If a fuel pump makes a noise..... there is a strain on it. I see it all the time with cars. Sometimes the strain wears it out, other times you can find the restriction, and save the pump.
I am with Jeff. There is a problem before the fuel/water seperator.
Look at the anti-siphon valve, or just "crud" in the tank. Take the sending unit out and look inside."

Back