Logo

Volvo Penta AQ131 newbie questions

"Hoggish1, the raw water pump

"Hoggish1, the raw water pump (the one in brass with two copper pipes below the alternator) is moved by the engine; it sucks raw water via the grids in the lower part of the outdrive, then circulates that raw water through the heat exchanger, the oil cooler (if fitted) and the exhaust manifold, then the raw water mixes with the exhaust gas and goes back to the outside of the boat via the exhaust pipe and the outdrive. The circulating pump (which is the one under the water tank in the front of your engine) circulates fresh water through the heat exchanger, then through the engine. In a nutshell, the raw water cools the fresh water, and the fresh water cools the engine. Similar to the radiator in your car, but instead of using air as cooling agent you use raw water.

If you don't get any suction, you may want to make sure that the raw water pump is actually turning. If the impeller does not turn, the pump will obviously not suck any water. You may want to make sure that the Woodruff key part 6 is installed between the raw water pump shaft 9 and the impeller 5

http://www.volvopentastore.com/SEA_WATER_PUMP_855578/dm/cart_id.657400424--categ ory_id.332893--list_time.1210180863--session_id.873611601--store_id.366--view_id .324014

and also that the crosspiece 3 is not missing; for it is, the pump will not turn.

http://www.volvopentastore.com/COOLING_SYSTEM_INDUCTION_AND_EXHAUST_MANIFOLD_AQ1 31A/dm/cart_id.657400424--category_id.332893--list_time.1210180987--session_id.8 73611601--store_id.366--view_id.324105"

when i replaced the impeller i

when i replaced the impeller i also replaced the cross piece ...when i replaced everything i left the cover to the impeller off and turned the motor over and it was definatley turning..just not sucking water...i even took all the copper tubes off and made sure they werre not clogged...do you think it could be something stuck up in the out drive...i even poored water from the inside of the boat to the out drive and the water comes out of the out drive....its driving me crazy because i know it is something simple but just cant find it...do i have to remove the whole outdrive to get to the little s shaped hose that attaches the out drive to the transom...i just did a visual inspection of the hose and fittings but couldnt get up close

"You can try something else: c

"You can try something else: cover the grid in the outdrive with duct tape, then remove the suction pipe from the raw water pump and pressurize the pipe with a garden hose. Then you will see if there are any leaks between the pump suction line and the outdrive through which the pump could be sucking air."

"hoggish1,
btw what do you m

"hoggish1,
btw what do you mean by "overheating" ? what temp do you read from gauge?

When I wasnt sure that water is delivering to heat exchanger I have opened (take off cup) from raw water filter (black plastic "bottle" next to heat exchanger) and run engine for 3-4 seconds, you will see fountain if water is delivered to heat exchanger."

my motor gets to 210 or hotter

my motor gets to 210 or hotter within a couple minutes...i have taken off the cap and the water starts to fill up the filter but then it stops and quits sucking

"this for the guy having probl

"this for the guy having problems with aq 131a not drawing water to seawater pump,you need to make sure if running on muffs to plug hole in bottom of lower unit !"

i have a vp v8 with a 275 outd

i have a vp v8 with a 275 outdrive is also getting hot fast. it is fine at a idle and rapidly gets bhot under power the raw water pump seems to be missing part of 2 bladfes could this be the problem or just one of many? the manifolds and riser and circulater pump all new it is salt water cooled engine 5.7 lt also how do i get the impeller out of the pump housing?

"WOW! How did we get from a g

"WOW! How did we get from a guy asking about buying a used Boat to a V8 with a bad impeller? Crazy....

Anyhow Mike, I bought an identical boat last year (open bow) as my first boat. I think I would drive 16 hours for a new boat (don't forget the 8 hour drive home), but not a 22 year old boat. I got mine off craigslist locally for $2500 and have put in $2K getting it back in shape. I haven't even touched the carpet or upholstery yet! The boat ran when I bought it, but I have since replaced the exhaust manifold (corroded), alternator (died), starter (died), battery (died), installed electronic ignition (free), changed the plugs (fouled), replaced the cylinder head (broke a bolt changing the exhaust manifold), rotor (worn), distributor cap (old, broke when tightening), timing belt (worn), and on and on and on.

But hey, I did all the work myself and it's been one heck of a learning experience. Some of the things I replaced were a result of my own carelessness. Doh!! Lots of cussing. And beware, for whatever reason the word "marinized" translates into lots of dollars.

Just remember this forum when you get into a jam. If you have the tools and the time, you can save a lot of money by consulting some of the folks here.

But as for that old Bayliner, forget it. Odds are you can find one in similar or better condition and a lot closer to where you live.

Good Luck!"

"Help. I have a AQ131/290. I

"Help. I have a AQ131/290. It has always run hot. I purchased 7 yrs ago and never can get it off red line on guage.Run about 40 hrs a yr. There is no temp deg. on guage. It has now sat for 2 yrs, no run time. I did not put anything in fuel as well. I do use 93 octane when I fill it up. I just started it today. Can't believe it started with-in 30 sec. However, the lifters knock now. Have I created a big problem leaving it sit that long.?. I just drained the oil today. Should I perhaps put synthetic oil in ? Boat only has 2500 hrs on it. The manual says use only volvo oil filter. Why ? Is it special ? Is there any thing I should do or beware of after sitting that long with no run time ? I really like the regal boat its in. thanks"

"Bad gas? Try hooking a jerryc

"Bad gas? Try hooking a jerrycan with fresh gas to the suction side of the fuel pump and run the engine for 10-15 minutes. If the symptoms clear, replace the old gas with fresh gas."

is there anyone that knows how

is there anyone that knows how to work on aq131d 275o/d..in the san diego area and would be willing to make some cash ...i need a mobile mechanic...that has teeth and knows what they are doing ....no scum bags like on craigslist

I need and cannot seem to find

I need and cannot seem to find a female water line connector for the head sink in a model 2760 Regal. This is a 15mm size.}

I have a Volvo Penta AQ131D en

I have a Volvo Penta AQ131D engine and cannot get it to go into idle. It starts fine but as soon as I try to idle it cuts out. Owners manual says could be a blocked fuel filter but does not show me where to look for this. Any ideas?

"hey everyone I have a 1986 Ba

"hey everyone I have a 1986 Bayliner Capri with the AQ131-275 engine/outdrive with the outdrive stuck down. I need to be able to trailer, is there a mechanical release to lift the drive?"

"You can release the reverse p

"You can release the reverse pawl by pulling it by hand, then lifting the outdrive with the tilt mechanism. And if the tilt mechanism is not working, then lift the outdrive by hand and install the trailering tool between the outdrive and the transom shield."

"I have an 86 Bayliner with an

"I have an 86 Bayliner with an AQ131A I/O and when I took it out for the first time this year it fired and spit sputtered and lost spark. I have 12 volts at the coil and replaced the cap, rotor, points, condensor, plugs and wires. I still have no spark, can anyone help me?"

"I have a 1979 Sunliner with a

"I have a 1979 Sunliner with a V-8 Volvo-Penta Inboard with 280 insignia on the back of engine(Title says 200 hp). Everything works fine so far except the trim, I replaced a fuse and it runs but won't engage and lift the engine or lower it. Does it use hydraulic fluid or is it a worm drive? Motor is located at bottom of housing or cylinder and whirs after I replaced the fuse,it also has some type of black electrical box on top of the cylinder, thanks a lot!!!! Brand new to this."

"What you have installed is el

"What you have installed is electric tilt, not trim. If you attempt to trim the outdrive with the lift (trim) mechanism, you will ruin the worm gear, and they are not cheap."

"Thanks, I just learned that i

"Thanks, I just learned that is exactly what happened. I did not do it but it is ruined and I am getting it fixed as we speak, and yes(gulp) it is not cheap. Thanks. Hopefully nothing else is amiss. Only other thing I can see wrong off the bat is the buttons for blower, bilge pump, nav lights, docking lights etc. don't stick down. I figure I will replace them this winter. Thanks a ton guys, I will be back for sure."

"Mike Welsh.

Mike you will

"Mike Welsh.

Mike you will probably be better off to start a new thread with your problem. And if you do, please explain how you determined that you are not getting a spark at your plugs.

Cheers, Tom"

"I have a Model AQ131/275. Out

"I have a Model AQ131/275. Outdrive will go up, but can't get it to go down. If I take wires off the switch I can jump it with a ground wire and make it come down. Checked switch and seems to be working correctly. Any suggestion???? Also, is there a phone number I can get for trouble shooting??"

Back