Logo

Volvo Penta AQ131 newbie questions

tamike

I'm thinking of buying a 1

I'm thinking of buying a 1986 Bayliner capri with a Penta aq131-275 engine. I'm going 8 hours away to check it out and would like to have some info on what to check out. It's my first boat purchase and don't want to buy something that isn't worth the time. The owner said that he hasn't started for a year and that now the starter only clicks. Any advice would be appreciated.

"Battery prolly dead, jumper c

"Battery prolly dead, jumper cables should get it goin. Put the leg in a suitable water container so that the pickup is submerged and get it running. Check for overheating problems. Shut down engine and pull the dipstick out and check for water in the oil(looks like milkshake). Take a compression gauge with you as well and test the compression across all 4 cylinders. Other than that its about price/appearance/condition"

The guy told me he installed a

The guy told me he installed a new battery. Can you start it with a screwdriver on the selenoid or would it be more the starter? He said it started doing this last year when he has it out last. It would click and after awhile it would start. Now he says he has a hard time starting it.

"I am not an expert but it sou

"I am not an expert but it sounds as though the saftey kill mechanism may be damaged or another eletrical problem and the screw driver is being utilized in order to by pass said wiring. Also there a chance of an arc from the screw driver, gas fumes and the arc could make for a bad day. I have used a screwdriver however only when sranded and had no other choice at the time. One would think that if you are going to make the effort and travel 8 hours for an inspection that the seller could make the effort and have the problem corrected. Also Running the boat on a hose is Ok i guess but in my opinion there is no replacement for actually puting the boat in the water and taking a test drive."

Just wondering if a Volvo auto

Just wondering if a Volvo automotive starter would work on this engine as it would be easier to find one at an autowrecker than having to order one at the last minute.

"Yes, it does. I have one on m

"Yes, it does. I have one on mine.....Have had no problems in fresh water, at all. I have a volvo 270 starter as well as a volvo 270 block in my boat. Both with no problems, except the carb, but that's marine. Try it. But keep it in fresh water, as salt does the most damage to the engine components."

"yes i put one on mine and hav

"yes i put one on mine and havent look back starts everytime ,got it for $20.00"

"1) Never install an autom

"1) Never install an automotive starter on a marine engine. Not only it contravenes Coast Guard Regs, it can also cause an unwanted KABOOM if there are gasoline vapours int he blge!!

2) Make sure there is a good ground between the engine block and the battery."

I was just going to use it to

I was just going to use it to make sure the engine works before I bought it. Will get the original re-built when I bring it back home.

Is there an engine with more horsepower that you can attach to the 275 outdrive or is the aq131 sufficient for a 19.5 ft. bayliner?

Thanks for all the info.

"The AQ131 will give you 120 H

"The AQ131 will give you 120 HP, and it may be or not "sufficient" for a 19.5' depending on what the word "sufficient" means to you. If you are happy with your boat's speed and the way it handles in rough weather or pulling skiers with your current engine, then your current power should be "sufficient". But if you want more HP from a 4 cylinder, you can try an AQ145A for 138 HP, or AQ145B for 139 HP; an AQ151(A or C) for 146 HP; or an AQ171 for 167 HP. Any of those engines will attach to your 275 outdrive."

"previous owner put silicone a

"previous owner put silicone around outdrive where it meets boat, what is correct way to fix this problem? I am assuming this leaked as I have just purchased this boat and have never had it in the water due to it needs work. It is a AQ 131A/275 Please help! Thank you"

"I need help on my 1989 INVADE

"I need help on my 1989 INVADER engine type is a AQ131 120 HP. Everything starts up fine idles ok I bought it from this guy who hasn't start it up for about a year. My dad and I did the tuned up replace the spark plug wire/sparkplugs as well, oil changes. I also added a fuel filter from the tank going to the CARB. I went to nearest lake to test it out; once again it ran ok at about 3200rpm close to 30mph. I notice something that wasn't right sometimes when I throttle it fires back (BURST) on the carb 1 to 2 times. After that it seems like it's lacking of power or I guess there's HESITATION. But after putting it neutral and throttle again it seems to be ok, I mean power is there don't get wrong I don't know a whole lot about boat engine performances. The symptoms seem to come and go for some reason. But for AQ131 running a 3200rpm at about 30 to 35 mph is that normal or more to be expected??? HELP!!!"

"Everyone here, wit exception

"Everyone here, wit exception of the original poster should repost a new question.......We can't have two or three threads bleeding together......THANKS!!!!"

"i have just bought an 89 vlo

"i have just bought an 89 vlovo penta AQ131D with a 275 o/d...starts fine, but gets really hot at just an idle...it seems to be over heating....anyone with ideas as where i should start"

"Yes, the first thing to check

"Yes, the first thing to check is the raw water hose connector in the outdrive; if it is corroded/perforated, the raw water pump will suck air. Replacement of the hose connector is cheap (around 30 bucks).

If the hose connector is OK, then check that the water passages in the exhaust manifold are not plugged/choked with scale; that the raw water strainer is clean; and that the raw water pump impeller is in good condition. Also, check that the alternator belt tension is correct.

The above are the most common causes for overheating."

hey thanks el pescador....i ch

hey thanks el pescador....i checked the hose fittings and replaced the impeller...the motor still isnt sucking water....does the motor have to get to a certain temp before it will circulate water through the impeller? could the thermostat be bad??the only other thing i have to check is the exhaust manifold....what creates the sucktion of the water..will i need to replace any gaskets if i take off the manifold

"The raw water pump should suc

"The raw water pump should suck water once you start the engine. The thermostat is seldom a problem, as the engine is fresh water cooled.

More often than not, you may be able to reuse the exhaust manifold gaskets, but there is no guarantee this will be the case or that they won't leak afterwards. The best practice is to replace the gaskets with new once you remove the manifold."

I have a Volvo Penta AQ131/275

I have a Volvo Penta AQ131/275 in a 1987 Bayliner Trophy 21. I have fuel and spark but it will not fire. Any ideas?

thanx El I will start from the

thanx El I will start from there . no problem with the valves interfering with the pistons on this engine?

"Yours is a non-interference e

"Yours is a non-interference engine, so even if the timing belt broke the piston will not hit the valves."

"Hi there, is there anyone who

"Hi there, is there anyone who can share with me a diagram showing timing belt adjustment for a AQ131A? just to ensure crankshaft/ignition and headcame are synchronised? many thanks"

hey el pescdor........i have c

hey el pescdor........i have checked every thing you told me to check for signs of over heating...everything seems to be fine ...the boat is still not sucking water from the outdrive to the raw water pump...i have been trying to figure out why there is fresh water cooling and raw water cooling...is the raw water used for cooling the oil or the fresh water

Back