Logo

Volvo Penta Starting issues

davis_j

"I was just wondering abut the

"I was just wondering abut the Starting issue I'm having. I can crank the engine over and it turns over but it seems that it binds up, it takes a couple times than it starts up. Could this be a bad solenoid? And if it is what part number would it be? It is hard to type a problem that your having so I hope I explained it well enough. Joe"

"I would hook a voltmeter up a

"I would hook a voltmeter up and measure voltage on battery, main switch, solenoid when crancking/starting. If voltage drops down below 10,5Volts, You have a problem."

"My motor was having similar i

"My motor was having similar issues and in my case the timing was incorrect due to deterated timing belt. This is on an AQ 125A, do not know what you are running."

"I'm running the same engi

"I'm running the same engine. So the timming belt has to do with starting the boat? When I start the boat it grinds a little, then I turn the key off than turn the key and then it starts up."

Sounds like starter going bad

Sounds like starter going bad unless you hear a grind with the engine turning over. Need to see if sound is from starter or inside engine
Could be something with flywheel maybe

"Joe, do what Morten says; che

"Joe, do what Morten says; check your battery voltage on crank and/or check it's specific gravity with a $5 gauge. The solenoid either 'makes' or it does not.
If the battery is good, either live with the hesitation if possible or spend lots of money fixing the start system (the is starter likely cause of your hesitation but you can use it for a long while before it will give out completely, sometimes.

Tom"

Back