Logo

Chris Craft Engine Rotation

starfishkiller

I have two chris craft 350 c.

I have two chris craft 350 c.i. chevy engines model 3500Bl15 and 3500B15. The engines have the firing order on their manifolds listed as 15634278. Could someone tell me if these engines are lefthand rotation or right hand rotation engines?

Thanks
eric

"Hmmmm....interesting order.

"Hmmmm....interesting order. Standard Chevy small block rotation (LH) is 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2. RH rotation is the reverse, 1-2-7-5-6-3-4-8. These are the standards, but I suppose other combinations are possible IF the cams really have that timing. I'd confirm that firing order since it's unusual.

I take it the engines aren't running. You can tell rotation from the timing scale (if they each have one - not always the case with older CC engines) by noting which way is BTDC and ATDC. Check the distributor wiring to the plugs for firing order if you think that's reliable. Lastly, you can pop the valve covers and note the cam timing by watching the rockers as you turn the engine through. The props are also a hint if they were on when the boat ran.

Chevy has cylinders 2-4-6-8 on the starboard side, 1-3-5-7 on the port side, facing the rear of the engine.

"

Most CC engines are installed

Most CC engines are installed with flywheel fwd.
Both of the firing orders 1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8 and 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 are the same only referenced from the other end. where as 8 becomes 1.
Therefore the manifold with the firing order 1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8 should be [LH].
The manifold on the right hand rotating engine should read 1-8-7-2-4-3-6-5.

" That helps a great deal. I,m

" That helps a great deal. I,m a little confused about the cylinder numbering. Is it numbered like this:

1 2
3 4
5 6
7 8
-------
flywheel end

or is it numbered like this:

8 7
6 5
4 3
2 1
-------
flywheel end

Thanks
eric "

" Eric
If my memory serves me

" Eric
If my memory serves me correctly this is the layout.[as per a CC i owned in 1978].
cylinders 1-3-5-7 on the port side,and 2-4-6-8 on the starboard side.

[BOW]
flywheel end
------------
1 2
3 4
5 6
7 8

[stern] "

I am working on a350 right han

I am working on a350 right hand rotating motor.some one has rebuilt the motor and has never been started firing is 1256438 and is done corectly. still engine will not start no backfires . I was wondering if cam is different on r.h than on left hand rotating motors and if it is possible that they installed wrong cam causing valve timing to be incorrect.

"Hi guys,

I am always conce

"Hi guys,

I am always concerned when an automotive mind wanders into boat mechanics. Yes, indeed, the RH and LH cams are different, so are the pumps, seals, timing, firing order, etc. Raw water and circulating pumps must be hooked up properly, and the circulating pumps are rotation specific, with an arrow on them pointing in the proper direction. Using an automotive circ pump is most likely a problem waiting to happen. Here is a link to my personal files, hope it helps identify some issues for you.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/503931/thread/1149537985/last-1149537985

Here's a flywheel forward with an aft distributor installation.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v472/Dogsharks/283aftview.jpg"

I am running a 327F now, which is flywheel aft with the distributor in the standard GM location.

The Q series of CC motors used an all differnt intake, and the cylinder IDENTIFICATION and TIMING is different than any GM small block motor, so is the cam.

Regards,

Dogsharks"

"I have a 1976 olmpic 21'

"I have a 1976 olmpic 21' I/O with omc stern drive It has a newer 350 reverse rotation motor in it so Im told, I know alot about car motors but Im learing Im dumb when it comes to boats,I took the boat out after I bought it and things were going great after 30 min. the water pump went out and it got way to hot, back fired and died well a new water pump and heads surfaced and all is well, but since then it keeps getting really hot at the intake were the exhaust flows under the carb.. I mean so hot it starts smoking out the breather and burning paint and gaskets! I have dug into it twice and recently pulled off the timing chain cover to find out that the timing was 180 degrees out! so I fixed that! and still gets super hot. I don't know if the cc system was installed correct by them or what? please help!! Im lost!"

Back