Logo

Merc 888 302 V8 how hard to pull stern drive

ezirider

Contributing Member
I have purchased a sender unit

I have purchased a sender unit for the alpha 1 so I can hook up the trim gauge .. the unit says I have to remove the stern drive.. has a sender for both starboard and port side of drive??? my question is how hard it this I have basic tools.. do I need any kind special tools.. other than general sockets sets and wrenches???
about my last post I found the leak on the starboard side in the boot.. same was on backside of the boot making it very hard to see..
but the 20' Marquis will run 45 MPH now.. I put on a edelbrock 4bb and high rise maniflow. with
4 blade 20 pitch 14 `1/4 prop.. does this sound like the speed it should run
thanks

"Only tool that may be needed

"Only tool that may be needed is a alignment bar to reassemble outdrive. This tool will align gimbal bearing bore parallel to spline in flywheel. The gimbal bearing can pivot in its mount so if it is moved after tear down, you will need the alignment tool so the drive shaft in the outdrive will align with bearing and flywheel. If you pull the outdrive straight out using any type of hoist to support weight, you might not move the bearing. Use the same hoist to hold weight when assembling so as not to move bearing when assembling. The drive shaft has a universal joint and when assembling, the drive shaft is like a wet noodle. Using the same words to start your chain saw may help in assembly."

"The drive removal is pretty s

"The drive removal is pretty straightforward.
You should get yourself a Clymer or Seloc manual, or subscribe to the online Seloc manual on this site. It will give you all the details on how to r & r the drive. You will need a drive mounting gasket set.

Unless you are adjusting the engine mounts you should not necessarily need the alignment tool; but if you can borrow one to check your alignment before replacing the drive, it's a good idea.
Moving the gimbal bearing will not affect alignment; it is self centering.
Bill's suggestion about language usage should help the project along quite well.
Rod"

"you may need to remove the be

"you may need to remove the bell housing to get at the bolt(s) holding the wire grommet in the transom. it's way up high, and hard to access. you will need a spline tool for this. it,s about 12 bucks from a dealer. I think sierra also makes one. if you need to remove the bell housing, (and I think you will) heat the housing to remove the hinge pins. they are installed with high strength loc-tite. you can leave the bellows attached. just move the whole thing down to access the keeper."

"more. the second sender is th

"more. the second sender is the trim limit switch. goes on the port side. as far as prop vs. speed is concerned, this is based on full throttle R.P.M. need to know that before making comment on speed."

Back