Logo

Jumped a wake and my boat wants to bog down

ejbtech1

Regular Contributor
"I was out today, and I jumped

"I was out today, and I jumped a BIG wake from like a 42 foot boat. As I did this, the boat immediately died, and then bogged down for a while. As I throttled it back and forth, it came back to life.
I thought it was the accelerator pump, but I am not sure. The boat ran fine after that, just had to pump the throttle back and forth to get her moving again.
Any ideas?"

sometimes when there is a big

sometimes when there is a big change in the angle of the carb it will cause the float to move around and either flood the engine or starve the engine.

"It was ok after I pumped the

"It was ok after I pumped the throttle a few times.
I have noticed this on occasion after jumping wakes from other boats, today it was the worst. I know it is in the carb, but not sure exactly where."

"I got a nice bruise from this

"I got a nice bruise from this also, but I know where that came from. Me hitting my leg on the foot rest......
proud.gif
"

that's the thing that suck

that's the thing that sucks about carbs compared to FI. the fuel in the bowl slooshes around and plays hell on the float.

I have changed the fuel system

I have changed the fuel system by adding an electric pump and a manual regulator. The thing that concerns me is having this happen again. Especially if I am on the river. Dont want to be dead in the water. And I was. Any suggestions?

"Just lower the float level ab

"Just lower the float level about 1/8 inch, and see that it's nice and free.

Jeff"

"You think lowering the float?

"You think lowering the float? that will bring the needle down a hair, right? then the carb will suck more gas in, that makes sense.
Does anyone know if there is just the float and needle I can buy without the rebuild kit? Solex 44phn sidedraft.
Thanx!!!"

Did you pull back on the throt

Did you pull back on the throttle after the wave? What engine/drive? I had a similar problem with my AQ125/280 which I attributed to water backflowing into the exhaust.

Steve P.

"I have a 120B with a 270 leg.

"I have a 120B with a 270 leg. I did pull the throttle back after, I had to, she died."

I don't know how you confi

I don't know how you confirm that this is the problem with 100% certainty other than to try to duplicate the problem under controlled conditions and pull a plug right after it happens. I found I could cause it to happen repeatedly by pulling off the throttle in a following sea but I never checked the plugs right after. Seeing as these motors have known problems with corrosion around the rear exhaust port I feel that water backflowing through the exhaust was likely. I posted my problem here and someone suggested installing a exhaust bellows with a flapper but I got rid of the boat before I pursued that solution.

Back