Logo

88 OMC Cobra 50 starting problems

matthew

"First off, thanks for everyon

"First off, thanks for everyone's help on the antisiphon valve. Now I have a new problem I hope someone can help me with. Boat had a tune up, rebuilt carb, new distributor cap, and now changed antisiphon valve. Well it ran Great for about 5 minutes and sputtered and died. Now, it just sputters and wants to start but won't. Any ideas?? What can I do now?? Where might the fuel be blocked that I can check? Should I change the fuel filter/water separator? Could that be clogged? I am puzzled on how it could run so good for 5 minutes and then just sputter and die and not start up again. Thanks in advance for ANY HELP!!!"

"Yes change the fuel filter, p

"Yes change the fuel filter, possible bad coil, bad fuel pump, points, is float right in carb, Any engine takes 3 things to make it run, 1. fuel 2. fire 3. air . verify you have fuel and fire getting to the engine, if not just start backing up with each to see where you are good and go from there."

"Anthony,
Thanks. The float

"Anthony,
Thanks. The float is correct in the carb, it is firing and it has air so it must be something with the fuel. I changed out the fuel filter about 2 yrs ago, but I guess I could do it again. Would old gas make it not start but just sputter. Any ideas on where it might be clogged or block? Does it sound like it could be the fuel pump? Thats about the only thing I haven't changed or had rebuilt in the last couple of years. It just had a tune up 3 months ago. I just don't understand how it could run for 5 min and then just sputter and die and not start back up again. Any other ideas? Thanks in advance for all your help!!!"

"Hi Matt, I notice you questio

"Hi Matt, I notice you question 'old gas'.If you have fuel in there that is old then yes this could well be the cause.I assume that, the same as us in England, that you are using unleaded over there. It seams to detioreate much quicker than the good old leaded did."

"Matt, Before you go any furth

"Matt, Before you go any further, drain ALL the gas out of the boat. Then refill with fresh gas, you might even want to add some sta-bill to it. Have you changed the fuel filters ? There is usually one on the pump or a in-line and one in the carb, did you use a new filter when you rebuilt the carb ? Should have come with the kit. Verify you have new fuel filters installed and fresh gas, if it still dont run, change the pump. Try this before you change the pump remove the hose/ metal line coming from the fuel pump , going to the carb, see if gas is squirting out there , if you see it squirting out that means you have gas getting to your carb, if no squirt then your fuel pump is bad."

"Before going to the operation

"Before going to the operation of draining all gas (pumping out or siphon), it is often better just to hook up an outboard tank with clean fuel straight to the engine. This way You 'isolate' the engine and may even use the primer-bulb as 'test' fuel-pump. Preferrably use a tank with 3/8 fuel line and no quick connector at tank end."

You mentioned you changed the

You mentioned you changed the fuel filter. The canister (water seperator) or the "filter" on the carb? Sure sounds like a fuel blockage to me...

Back