Logo

Looking for suggestions Electrical Problem w Outboard

tibo

"Hello all,

I seem to have

"Hello all,

I seem to have 3 problems that may be related. The last tech to look at my boat cost me 400.00 and it is still not fixed. The boat is a Wood and fiberglass boat. The engine is a E115TLCRD 115HP 1984 Evinrude. 1- From anywhere on the deck, a voltmeter connection from a wet spot on the carpet to the Neg post of the battery will read 12.5V 2- I keep killing batteries 3- engine max rpm is 1500.

I was able to trace the voltage on the deck to my power regulator/rectifier, if I unhook it from the solenoid the voltage disapears.

Thank you for any help or suggestions that you may be able to provide."

"Yvan,

It sounds like the r

"Yvan,

It sounds like the regulator is shorted. That may be the entire problem, but I think the low rpms has to be a separate problem.

You should start with a compression and spark test. See if the old spark plugs appear strange in any way.

Verify that fuel is getting into the carbs. See if you can feel fuel coming out of the main jet. You can stick a finger into the carb and place it alongside the main horn. Rev the engine a little and you will feel the fuel coming up through the horn. Do this for all four.

Tony"

Tony if he's getting a vol

Tony if he's getting a voltage reading from any wet spot on the deck is it likely that something is grounded out. Thats a confusing one though considering the boat is made out of non-conductive materials.?????

"Sledderdoc,

I am thinking

"Sledderdoc,

I am thinking that the regulator is shorting to ground internally. How that has found its way to the carpet is anybody's guess, but if he is in a saltwater environment, it is not hard believe.

Tony"

i would suspect 2 problems pos

i would suspect 2 problems possible here...does the 12.5v read from the motor itself to the negative terminal on the battery?from one of the headbolts for example.if so there is a bad ground at the motor...a bad ground will let the motor ""float"" electically and 12v could be feeding back through one of several places...because it is a wooden boat the console would also be floating(no ground) and giving the reading from wet carpet...it is probably attached to the carpet ..thats where i would start anyway..a good ground could fix all the problems...

i would suspect 2 problems pos

i would suspect 2 problems possible here...does the 12.5v read from the motor itself to the negative terminal on the battery?from one of the headbolts for example.if so there is a bad ground at the motor...a bad ground will let the motor ""float"" electically and 12v could be feeding back through one of several places...because it is a wooden boat the console would also be floating(no ground) and giving the reading from wet carpet...it is probably attached to the carpet ..thats where i would start anyway..a good ground could fix all the problems...

"Thats OK Carl ... some of us

"Thats OK Carl ... some of us need to hear it twice lol
happy.gif
"

Back