Logo

Multiinput gauges Can this be done

1stboat

Regular Contributor
"i would like to add sensors o

"i would like to add sensors on a few more spots on the boat. specifically one more temperature sensor to the engine. also i'd like to add a water pressure sensor to the water pump. maybe even another sensor or two. my question is, can i get gauges that can display output(s) from multiple sensors without have to get a different gauge for every sensor?"

"The sending unit (sensor?

"The sending unit (sensor?) is married to the gauge or gauges. For example, a different sending unit is required for parallel, identical gauges as opposed to that for a single gauge. A particular brand of gauge may require that the sending unit be of the same brand. A pressure sender is required for a pressure gauge and a heat sender is required for a heat gauge. An individual sender of the specific range and resistance curve is needed for a particular gauge with a matching range."

"so there are gauges that have

"so there are gauges that have inputs from more than one sending unit? of their respective manufacurer, of course."

"1st boat,
I'm curious as

"1st boat,
I'm curious as to why you're looking to add all these sensors to your set up.... you building a nuclear powered leisure boat?!
blush.gif
"

">>>so there are g

">>>so there are gauges that have inputs from more than one sending unit? of their respective manufacurer, of course.<<<

No, the opposite. Multiple gauges (dual station) have one sending unit. The sender of correct resistance range for two gauges must be specified to the mfgr/dealer. However, I suppose a gauge could be switched to sending units in different locations. A three position switch would be required (on-off-on)."

"lode,
my boat has overheated

"lode,
my boat has overheated a few times. i have since taken my manifolds off, replaced the riser, gaskets, impeller, thermostat. also i've flushed the engine and drained the block. i just want to prevent the same thing from happening again. while doing all of this, i thought about putting an extra temerature sending unit on the left side of the engine or even on top of a riser. i have also read that putting a water pressure sending unit on or near the water pump will help find out about a water blockage early. so that's really why i'm asking all these questions."

"I understand your concern...

"I understand your concern... I have the same concerns when I'm on the water with not wanting to ruin anything with an overheat left unnoticed.

Personally, I use a hand held infrared thermometer(20 bucks) and check my riser temp on both sides regularly to make sure they're pretty close and acceptable as well as keep a close eye on my dash gauge. It's a pita getting up the engine cover and you have to be careful... but it's piece of mind that everything's working properly.

If you're looking for something 'more permanent'(other than changing a battery every est 160hrs) I'd stumbled across this while thinking outside the box...

http://www.professionalequipment.com/extech-type-j-k-dual-input-thermometer-with -alarms-421502/k-type-thermocouple/

Not its preconceived intended use, I'm sure... but you could mount a thermocoupler on each riser and have a constant monitor of the surface temperature on both port/star riser... only trouble I forsee is getting longer leads ( that unit comes with 2-4 footers) to get you to your dash. Understand it's not internal temp readings but in the same still should provide you with a warning to trouble brewing.

Not really sure what to suggest with a pressure sensor near your water pump..."

"You can purchase an O/B temp

"You can purchase an O/B temp gage kit. It is a contact type sender, matched to a gage. Just mount the sender so it is contacting the manifold and install the gage, you're done.

As far as the pressure gage, if you loose water pressure, trust me it will show up in the manifold temp gage, very quickly and before any damage is done."

Back