Logo

Water in cylinder

whelaniii

Regular Contributor
I have 1996 Johnson J90ELEDR w

I have 1996 Johnson J90ELEDR when standing at back of motor left bank lower cyl.I think it is #2 piston when I pull plug to check it it seems to have traces of water on it also the upper exhaust port on left side when running slow builds up a grey mixture of oil substance the right exhaust port looks fine that one piston reads about 10 points lower than upper is is it possable the o-ring is faulty?? I am going to pull head and look at that side. motor runs fine at all speeds But I am worried of why that milky oil substance in exhaust port when running slow. any comment on what I should look for Thank you

"John, definately sounds like

"John, definately sounds like you have water leaking into that cylinder - and the grey oily substance is indicative of oil/gas mixed with water.

So yes, definately pull the head, check for damage/scoring on that cylinder in particular and clean everything up.

I would guess that the most likely source for the water intrusion is at the cylinder head itself..."

"update I pulled head and foun

"update I pulled head and found water was leaking in to bottom cyl. cleaned it all up found no cracks so i got new O-rings and black silicone and resealed it I want to wait 24 Hrs, to let silicone harding up then I will check it every thing looked ok no scoring just a little pitting on sleeve at the very end so I hope I found problem"

Back