Logo

Pipe from exhaust to manafold leaking

R

rocman

"put new bracket on pipe that

"put new bracket on pipe that attaches to engine and put new oring on and it still leaks,please help. aq131c"

"sounds like the surfaces are

"sounds like the surfaces are a little warped or pitted, I would pull them apart and check with a straight edge to ensure the surfaces are flat.."

"is there a way to fix it bill

"is there a way to fix it bill?,if the surfaces are worn.

thanks rocky"

"you can take them to a machin

"you can take them to a machine shop that can do it for you or if you have a very very very flat very hard surface you can do it with some sand paper, I would say if you find that they are warped either take them to a machine shop or just get a new set.."

"wait I just reread your title

"wait I just reread your title are you talking about the pipe that goes to your heat exchanger??? if so I believe there has to be Two (2) o-rings, one on top of the other to get it to seal properly.. for some reason I was thinking you were talking about the manifold to the riser.. Sorry I was jumping back and forth from the Mercruiser section to the Volvo Section.."

"yes that is correct,i tryed 2

"yes that is correct,i tryed 2 o rings and it still leaks, i bought the boat in feb. and i still haven't got it in the water yet.any ideas tks ."

"are you talking about number

"are you talking about number 12 on the second link I gave you, and which end is it leaking from.."

"yes ,its leaking from the goi

"yes ,its leaking from the going inside the manifold ."

the end on my tube goes straig

the end on my tube goes straight up into the manifold

"ouch that is the hard one. Wh

"ouch that is the hard one. Where is EL P. when you need him ( he'll be on later and know right off the bat what to do ) but one of two things the opening for the pipe is so corroded away that it's leaking or your manifold it clogged and the water is being pushed out.. how did you buy the o-rings, in a complete engine kit or by themselves the reason I ask is in the kit there are two sizes of o-rings, and in your case you should use the larger ones.. Does the pipe slide into the hole real easy or Hard, it should be a tight fit.."

i mean it goes straight up int

i mean it goes straight up into the heat exchanger.

"its snug,i got the parts from

"its snug,i got the parts from a dealer bracket o rings and the gasget"

no its leaking from number 19

no its leaking from number 19 on the first link you gave me the copper tube number 12.

"There is a rubber gasket that

"There is a rubber gasket that goes onto the copper pipe. Try changing that and cleaning up the area on the manifold where it attaches. It should be an easy problem to fix. Just make sure the gasket goes onto the flange, there is a slit in the gasket which slips onto the flange of the pipe.

Good luck,

Rob."

"Rocky number 19 on the first

"Rocky number 19 on the first link goes into number 18 on the second link pull it off of the heat exchanger and check for cracks or corrosion.. either will cause it to leak around the pipe.. Also when you insert the pipe into the fitting on the heat exchanger rub some seal grease on the o-rings, it will make it go in easier and also help seal it.."

"bill , if its corroded or cra

"bill , if its corroded or cracked can it be tapped out and a stainless steel fitting put in its place?

thanks for the help guys,rob i tryed cleaning it and put new seals on but it still leaks."

"rob i think you thought i was

"rob i think you thought i was talking about the end that goes into the manifold, my mistake its the end that goes up into the heat exchanger,sorry!"

"I don't know of a stainle

"I don't know of a stainless fitting that would work number 18 should be a plastic or composite piece and is very cheap to replace, and should solve your problems.."

"bill thank you so much,this s

"bill thank you so much,this site is awsome , its great for a guy like me thats new to this stuff.

thanks again rocky."

"If it is a copper tubing, you

"If it is a copper tubing, you can bend it a little to add more of a seal towards the part that is leaking"

"Jimmy, just bend the pipe sli

"Jimmy, just bend the pipe slightly towards the heat exchanger, and make sure the clamp 16 is tight. If leaks persist either by 19 or 20, then the exhaust manifold may be clogged due to mud/scale and will likely need to be replaced."

Back