Logo

Mercury 225 Optimax stalling when at slow idle

gofishjim

I have a '03 225 Opti Max

I have a '03 225 Opti Max that has recenlty begun to stall and idle rough. I am wondering if it has to do with my Merc Dealer running out of Opti Oil and telling me that it was ok to use regular Merc oil until the OPti Oil came in. I ran about 2 gallons through it until someone told me that was a big NO NO. I have since drained the regular Merc oil and changed plugs but its still missing and stalling occationally. It runs like a bear at higher RPMs and otherwise runs great. Any clues or what to look for?

Best Fishes

Jim

"Jim, I dug out the service ma

"Jim, I dug out the service manual for your motor.

(and do mean dug it out because this is not a motor you work on in the garage)

Although all the Merc literature on your motor suggests that you should run their direct injection oil (in fact model catalog kinda makes it sound like you have to run it) -

The service manual only recommends for you to run Quicksilver TC-W3 Premium Plus 2 Cycle Outboard Oil.

So I would suspect that the two incidents (the oil and the motor turning rough) are probably coincidental.

According to what I am reading, troubleshooting is done via a "digital diagnostic terminal" (sounds complicated - or rather sounds like, take it to the dealer for troubleshooting).

This is not an engine that you are going to pull the hood and check it out with a screwdriver and ohm meter...."

"Jim, upon further reading her

"Jim, upon further reading here's what it says:

(condition) Engine runs rough below 3000 rpm

Possible causes:

Fouled spark plug(s)

Low air pressure in rail (fuel rail)

Throttles misadjusted - Check throttle cam setup on induction manifold. Inspect linkage and roller. If throttle plate stop screws have
been tampered with, contact Mercury Marine Service Department for correct adjustment procedures.

TPS sensor malfunction

So maybe check/replace the plugs and if that don't fix it, off to see Merc..."

"Jim, that is possible that re

"Jim, that is possible that regular oil will cause this. You many have layed down some carbon. Run some quikclean and see if it clears up before you go bezerk."

Back