Logo

Can I use fuel additive to clean fuel system 25hp 89 merc

van123

"I think I may need to clean m

"I think I may need to clean my fuel delivery system and I am non-mechanical guy! Is there a fuel additive that I can mix with my fuel that won't damage the engine or fuel system and hopefully clean the carb and other parts of the fuel system? Have a strange problem that has reared its ugly head! The engine sounds ok and seems to run ok but without much power. After running for half hour or so the engine will all of a sudden deliver it normal power and run just fine. But when I first start it up and eratore at full thottle it runs and sound fine but with low thrust and than after a relative short time (about half hour of full throttle) it will all of a sudden double or triple its power thurst and produce full horsepower output and generally will continue producing rated power until the next time I take the boat out and then I go thru the same routine again! I figure it may be something in the fuel delivery system. Maybe not! Thanks for any suggestions. I seem to be working thru a series of problems with my moter but think this is the final issue. Van in Medford, Oregon"

If power suddenly arrives it i

If power suddenly arrives it is likely an ignition problem.The easy way to check is to hook up a timing light when you start it up and observe the flashing. Check both cylinders --- no flashing means no spark.You have of course tried new sparkplugs.

"Van, no can of "magic&#34

"Van, no can of "magic" that you can throw in the gas. You can add stablizer to help keep water/gum out of the system, or Seafoam which will also help with water/gunk problems - but more as a preventative...."

Back