Logo

Finally 1985 Bayliner Capri with 50 hp Force Runs

mwh98

"I bought a 1985 Bayliner Capr

"I bought a 1985 Bayliner Capri with a 50 hp Force that would not run. After adjusting the timing an replacing the carburator float, it finally runs.

The USCG plate limits the weight capacity to 1000lbs including engine, persons, and gear. With two (250lbs each) people the boat planes and runs at 24 mph. Add 250lbs more and the boat will not get up on plane and drags at 10mph (with a HUGE wake!).

Anyone have any experience with this set up and does it sound correct? I would expect there to be enough juice to get the boat up on plane if we are just under or at the USCG max.

Mark
1985 Bayliner Capri (14foot)
1985 Force 50hp"

"I think you should get a bit

"I think you should get a bit more out of it, check your rpm's once you get a tach, read your other post about a tach, force usually uses a 20 pole. What did you set timing at? and how? and have you checked compression at all?

I had a 76 55hp rude on a 16.5 glastron that hit 35 with my family (total probably 400lbs) I know not perfect comparing a evinrude motor and bigger boat, not apples to apples but close

I get 42 in my 19' capri with a 125 force"

"Mark, I would think that it s

"Mark, I would think that it should still get decent speed and plane out for you. Is the extra 250 pounds mostly "forward"?.

Perhaps try again but trim your motor up (further out from the lower transom) - you may simply be "ploughing" water from lack of lift at the bow..."

"Hey Brian & Graham,

Th

"Hey Brian & Graham,

Thanks for the speedy response (wish my boat was as quick).

I have orderd a tach to aide in the diagnosis.

The compression and timing was set by our old "retired" boat mechanic that only works when he needs money. So he is a limited resource, and the only on left in our small town of 400.
I will check both.

As for trim and weight distribution we tried all different combinations. No luck.

Thanks again for the help.

Mark
1985 Bayliner Capri 14
1985 Force 50"

"Hey Mark,

I have pretty m

"Hey Mark,

I have pretty much the same boat - an 86 Bayliner Capri with a Force 50. Mine is the Fish & Swim model with front & back decks for fishing seats. I don't know what it weights, but it seems very heavy with all of that plywood & carpet interior.

Anyway, mine has a two-inch riser block that lifts the motor a bit higher off of the transom (so the prop rides more shallow). There is also an airfoil attached to the lower unit just above the prop. I don't know if any of this is original. It seams to plan well even with 700 lbs on board. I'm not sure of the speed, I'm in the process of replacing the speedo and adding tach.

Mike"

"For what its worth.... I had

"For what its worth.... I had the exact same problem when I owned this setup. It would run fine with me and another person, but when I added one more person the silly thing would NOT plane at all. I found the 50hp force ('85) was a little low on torque coming out of the hole (compared to other manufactures). I experimented with props and found that for most of my boating a 15 pitch worked well. I then purchased a 13 pitch for tubing and such. Changing props all the time was kinda a pain and I was pleased with the 15 pitch prop. I added a stabilizer fin on the motor and could get around 26-28mph and plenty of power to pull a skier up with 4 folks in the boat. Hope this helps."

HI all! I just purchased a 86

HI all! I just purchased a 86 bayliner capri.Its got an out board motor but it has been painted and i am not sure how to tell what make/size motor it is.any help would be appreciated.

There should be a tag on the t

There should be a tag on the transom bracket giving a serial/model number. What name is on the controls? how many cylinders? how big of boat?

"well if im measuring right th

"well if im measuring right the boat is about 17 feet,the controls have a letter B,and it also says "pull neutral",have not found a tag on transom yet but it is a 3 cylinder 2 stroke,thanx"

"the tag should be on the left

"the tag should be on the left transom bracket,just a sticker, so may have fallen off.

if it's a Force motor, which it should be, it's a 85hp, the 50 was a 2 cyl, 85 was 3 cyl, and the 125 is 4 cyl. B is probable for Brunswick, the company that should've just stuck to making bowling balls instead of boats
biggrin.gif
"

Back