Logo

Force 50 timing

bruinsfan32

"I bought a used Force 50 &#40

"I bought a used Force 50 (1987 I believe) for my boat. Ran with no problems, until the shift control rod broke (had been fabricated by a previous owner), thus throwing the timing off. I have run the engine a few times with a makeshift rod to advance the timing, but the boat would not go more than 8mph, suggesting to me that the timing is still off. I plan on properly adjusting the timing with a timing light, however I was wondering if using the engine while the timing was off would have caused significant damage. I ran the engine with the timing off for apx. 2 hours of use in the water while testing my makeshift rods."

"Yes if the timing is off it c

"Yes if the timing is off it can damage the motor Hopefully it didn't

Disconnect and ground all your plug wires (must ground them to the block or you can ruin electrical components),

Disconnect the neutral switch, I just wrap a piece of wire or tape around it to depress the switch (microswitch under the throttle tower),

Connect timing light to #1 cylinder,

Advance throttle control to WOT,

Have someone turn the key so the starter spins the motor and check the timing while it is spinning.

Stop, Adjust, Recheck

Set to 2 degrees less and it should be right on when it is actually running."

"I assume that since no spark

"I assume that since no spark is igniting any fuel, I can test this out of water and without earmuffs?

Also, what kind of damage and/or symptoms would I expect should the mistiming have caused damage?"

"still want water to lube the

"still want water to lube the impeller, dry impeller rubbing on the pump housing can lessen its life. Firing at the wrong time, can create "shocks" that could affect engine internals, rods, pistons, crank etc. google detonation once"

Back