Logo

454 Crusader Marine Fuel Consumption

S

Skip Odell

"Anyone know the fuel consumpt

"Anyone know the fuel consumption (at easy cruise) of a 38' Uniflite with twin "carbuerated" 454's?

I'm guessing around 28gph, but that's just a guess.

Any input will be appreciated.

Thanks, Skip"

My 88 model 38' Luhrs w/tw

My 88 model 38' Luhrs w/twin 454's burn about 30 gph at 2800rpm and gets worse as the rpm's increase!

HATRASSR

"Mike's boat is about typi

"Mike's boat is about typical. See why diesels are so popular in larger boats?

Jeff

PS: My Chrysler 360s burn 8 1/2 GPH each at 2,500 rpms."

"Ihave a 71 32' pacemaker

"Ihave a 71 32' pacemaker with (newly built) 350 crusaders. been four yrs. restoring, and now I'm wondering what mpg i can expect. only have 150gal fuel capacity. Any thoughts? and does it save fuel at trolling speeds verus cruise speeds if you just want to take your time going somewhere."

"Dan- First of all- the more

"Dan- First of all- the more rpm's you turn the greater the fuel consumption will be - your boat will probably use 8-10 gph per engine at 2100 to 2200 rpm's (10-12mph, a little less at lower rpm's) With a 150 fuel tank I wouldn't get too far from home. Using the old adage - 1/3 out, 1/3 back and 1/3 in reserve your cruising radius would be reduced to 60 to 75 miles total.
Mike Austin"

"mike-Ihave a 72, (not 71&

"mike-Ihave a 72, (not 71) Pacemaker, not that it would make any differance, but the question I think I'm tring to ask is- what, In your opinon is the best rpm to achieve the most efficient fuel to distance ratio- the boat is moored in the river leading to jax fl. so it is usually very calm- Thanks,Dan"

"Dan- I would suspect that cr

"Dan- I would suspect that cruising between 1800 and 2100 rpm would give you your optium speed/distance ratio for your boat. That's just off plane for a boat like yours and you won't be breaking any speed records (probably about 8 to 10mph or so and about 75 miles cruising range with a 150 gal fuel tank) Cruising in a protected body of water like the St John's without having to fight strong currents or head seas, removing any excess weight from the boat, proper trim settings and a clean bottom will help your speed and fuel milege some but those older boats just weren't designed to be very fast or fuel efficient. (even when it was new)"

Back