Logo

2006 mercruiser 50L alpha one exhaust bellow

bill_k

Regular Contributor
"here's a stumper, my neig

"here's a stumper, my neighbor has a 2006 tahoe with only 70 hrs on it and the exhaust bellow keeps blowing off, he bought the boat from Bass Pro Shops last year some time and they have fixed the problem two or three times now, and now they are saying they can't do anything for him under warranty and he will have to pay to find the problem, they also are saying that they are 8 to ten weeks out on looking at it.. so my question is: is there any negitives to the bellow being off (just off on the outdrive side) the boat seams to still run fine just alittle louder at times.. Also what would make this thing keep coming off.."

"Are they using adhesive on th

"Are they using adhesive on the bellows when replacing it? One would assume so if it's a Merc shop doing the work.
Sounds like there is some restriction in the drive leg exhaust passages.
If it has the ring anode around the prop shaft just behind the stepped washer at the base of the prop, you could try removing it. I remember reading somewhere that this anode is known to be somewhat restrictive on larger engines.
Anything plugging the prop exhaust passages?

The only other thing that comes to mind is to pull the drive off and split the upper and lower halves, then check all exhaust passages for anything that is not supposed to be there. Like a rag, piece of wood; who knows what? Maybe there is casting flashing plugging off part of the exhaust passage in the lower housing?

You can run it just fine without the bellows on; it will just be louder and the exhaust fumes may discolor the transom around the drive area.
Rod"

Back