Logo

Starter Relay

jhay

I Have twin 1977 twin crusader

I Have twin 1977 twin crusaders. Have been having trouble starting starboard engine on and off for several years now. Replaced ignition switchseveral times. Now get nothing when turn key to start. Engine will start when jumped. Just discovered there is no starter relay switch on starboard engine. One on port. Is a starter rely necessary to start engine with key?

"Does anyone have any answer t

"Does anyone have any answer to my question? An auto mechanic said to run the jumper wires directly to the key switch would solve my problem, but then you would by pass the netual switch. That is not the answer. What kind of stater soloiend relay do I have to get.
Any advice on this matter would be apprecietated.
My engines are 270's."

"Rich:

You should have the

"Rich:

You should have the exact same set up on both engines. I suggest you buy/ install the same components on each side, using hte 'good' side as your guide.

Jeff"

"Thanks for the reply> Af

"Thanks for the reply> After much research and reading the service manuals for before 1980 engines and after 1980. The before did not come with the starter relay and apparetently some one put one on the port engine, but not on the starboard. Since I have a 40 ft boat with dual stations, I guess the wire could not carry enough voltage to the starter. It was alway hit and miss, then using the jumper wires to start.
Instaled the starter relay and the engine starts righ up. Hope this info will be of help to some one else."

Back