Logo

Thinking of buying a boat with a 318 Chrysler

B

Baja Bob

" I am taking out at 23 footer

" I am taking out at 23 footer today for a trial run. Dont know much about the 318. Gas consumption, reliability of engine ect. Any input would be appricated. Thanks. "

I can't say that I have e

I can't say that I have experience with that engine in a marine application but the 318 and the 340 were commonly used in the old Dodge Dusters and such. If you remember them they were very respected for their performance and known to be very reliable engines.

" Bob,
In cars the 318 was

" Bob,
In cars the 318 was one of the most bullet-proof ever. Many people who did not care for Chrysler Corp. cars still respected the engines. One small weakness some people experieced was that they were hard on spark plugs. Platinium plugs seem to last longer here, but in a reacreational boat you should be replacing spark plugs long before they wear out. Tip: always use anti-sieze on spark plug threads when installing spark plugs. Avoid gimmick spark plugs with multi-electrodes like Split-fire.
Eddie "

" Bob,
I would not think

" Bob,
I would not think you would have much of a problem getting parts but to be on the safe side you might check on the availibility of marine adaptations such as exaust manifold and water pump.
Eddie "

Thanks guys for the infor. T

Thanks guys for the infor. The trial run was good and I am now a proud owner of a 23 ft sport fisher here in Cabo San Lucas Baja Mexico. Look me up when you are down and I will take you fishing. Bob

" Lots of boats used Chrysler

" Lots of boats used Chrysler 318s. Standard most came 2 barrel, switch to a 4 barrel and you will pick up about 15Hp. My 32' Fairliner ran with twin 318s, the 318 in 4 barrel config puts out about 240Hp. A 23' 318 single should have plenty of get up and go. I can tell you that I have heard bad things about the 318 marinized, heard them called boat anchors, etc... but you will hear that about any engine from the person with the wrong experience. Is the boat older? Mostly I hear about 318s in old chriscrafts. I don't think too many were made past 1975. In process of repowering to diesels...summer project!!!

And since you purchased the boat...advice...make sure you have the exact model number of that engine and only go to your marine engine shop for parts. Don't try Kragen or Napa for the points or other parts because they will give you the wrong ones.

Eric "

Eric. Thanks for the advice.

Eric. Thanks for the advice. 23 footer was built in 85. The hull is a John Allmamed hull out of Florida. Manuals are on the boat but have not got to them yet. What about fule comsumption? The boat is heavy and on trial run I got it up to around 3100 rpms runing full out at 18 knots. Does that sound about right? Thanks Bob

" Bob, fuel consumption on you

" Bob, fuel consumption on your engine will be about 11 to 12 gph @cruise (3100rpm). I agree there is a problem with your engine if top end is only 3100rpm. Don't be over concerned with a major problem here. Most times with the Crysler engines it only takes a new set of plugs,cap and rotor to correct.I have been running 318's for 20 years with out problems, also not uncommon to put over 3000hrs. on these motors with good maint. You probaly have electronic ignition also, check out Mallory upgrade, what a difference. "

" Hey Guys thanks for all the

" Hey Guys thanks for all the information. Really appriciate it. Fuel consumption was what I expected. As for RPMs, could the boat just be weighted down. If over propped how do I check that? The engine has 2100 hours, or am I dealing with a tired engine and will have to just wait for its demise? "

"Smoke and oil consumption are

"Smoke and oil consumption are more common indicators of a tired engine, rather than just low rpm. Low top end may be nothing more than a simple igniton or fuel problem, or an indication that the boat has not been properly outfitted (such as being overpropped) or poorly maintained. 2100 hours is not a reason to reject the boat if the engine has received good maintenance, but if it's raw water cooled the water jackets and cylinder walls may be in sad shape.

It sounds like the services of a good marine surveyer would be your best investment here. Spend a few bucks up front and learn what the real story on this boat is. Good luck!

"

" His WOT is 3100, and somebod

" His WOT is 3100, and somebody above said it should be 4000 RPM . . . Is there an authoritative source for that figure? I have two old Chryslers: 34' boat came with 340's, rated at 250 hp, but one of them was replaced with a 318 about three years ago.

I'm also trying to figure out what to expect out of those engines.

3100 sounds extremely low . . . my Mercruiser 302 on the little boat (21') is supposed to be WOT at 4200 RPM per the manual! "

"The Chrysler line of engines

"The Chrysler line of engines in boat applications has an excellent history. Spec RPM for the 318 at WOT is 4000 RPM. Condition of bottom, tune of engine and weight carried all contribute to RPM obtainable. In good tune with a clean bottom and normal load you pick a prop that will allow the engine to achieve spec WOT RPM. Running at WOT and not achieving rated RPM is extreemly hard on the engine and should be avoided."

Back