Logo

1966 twin 350 crusaders

jclays

Regular Contributor
Port carb running too rich. Ha

Port carb running too rich. Had it rebuilt but still not a good carb. Currently have the old rochester 4jet or 4gc not the quadrajet. Have ordered the Edelbrock marine performer 600cfm. looks like it will fit the old style narrow sunken intake manifold since it has both inside and outside mounting holes. Anybody with experience with these carbs?? Have used the non marine version on my hotrod with success. Found my port side spark plugs sooted over from running rich and wire brushed them. should I use some type of additive to de-carbonize the combustion chamber? I started having a soot floating on the water from my wet exhaust when I first start up my engines. But only on the port side that has been running rich.
Thanks again
Jim

"I installed the Edelbrock mar

"I installed the Edelbrock marine carbs on my 454s The carbs needed an adapter plate to go from spread bore (existing maonifold) to square bore. Then since my engines sit at a 9 deg angle I was having issues with the front of the bowls running too low on fuel, correction was adding custom angle spacer plates (they were hard to find) the carbs now sit level on the engines. The carbs are easy to set up and run excellent. Make sure you get the electric choke set-up properly per the manual!"

"Right on! The black soot and

"Right on! The black soot and carbon will dissappear after a good, long run with those Edelbrocks on there. Be prepared for an increase in fuel milage as well! How can you loose?

Jeff"

Installed Edlebrock on the por

Installed Edlebrock on the port engine. Had to use a thin adaptor/spacer plate since the manifold mounting surface was narrow and fit the old Rochester 4jet (not quadrajet) carb. The engine will stall anytime I allow the choke to open more than 1/2 inch even after 10mins of idling if I allow the choke to close; engine stalls. I was thinking possible vacum leak causing a lean condition hence the closed choke allows less air in the mixture. I applyed gasket sealeant to all surfaces except to the bottom of the carb. Still the same problem> Help!!!!Getting ready to send the carb back. Re-installed old carb.. No problem Hmmmmmmmm....

"These carbs are bench tested

"These carbs are bench tested before sending to retail, it's always possible something is wrong with carb. Did you install same carb on starboard engine? if so how is that carb running.
If you have electric choke style then you need to adjust per the instructions for proper running condition and make sure you have 12v power on the choke only when the ignition key is turned on."

No I did not install the starb

No I did not install the starboard carb. I only purchased one to see how well it fit on the narrow old style intake manifold. It does have an electric choke which is connected to an ignition controlled 12v source. I will adjust choke and check for vacum leaks if it will stay idling. The electric choke is hot to the touch when on. Is this normal??
Thanks
Jim

No! The choke should not be ho

No! The choke should not be hot unless the engine is heating it up! Verify with a multi tester that you have 12V (only) to choke once the key is turned on and that the power goes off once key is off!

One of the reasons for poor to

One of the reasons for poor to no idle caracteristic on the Edelbrock i just purchased....NO fast idle screw it was never installed. New replacement carb being shipped out. what a waste of time. Will post a follow up after installing new carb.

Got my replacement Edlebrock c

Got my replacement Edlebrock carb still no fast idle screw. Told by Edlebrock fast idle screws illegal per Coast Guard Whats that about??? Installed new carb expecting same problems however this one ran right out of the box. Need to order one for the starboard engine..

Back