Logo

Mercury to Force Control Cables

P

paston1

I just put a 1992 Force 40 whe

I just put a 1992 Force 40 where a 1988 Mercury 25 was. The controls seem different and the new motor was not on the boat when I bought it so I couldnt see how they were rigged up... HELP!!!!

"Tim, I have done a couple of

"Tim, I have done a couple of conversions the other way (Force to Merc).

Are you trying to use your Merc controls/cables or did you also get a control with the "new" motor."

"Graham,

Trying to use my m

"Graham,

Trying to use my merc controls if I can. Far as I can tell the real difference is the mounting and cable ends... just have no idea how the mount"

"Tim, yes, the cable ends are

"Tim, yes, the cable ends are different. If you can unscrew the ends (at the motor end) you can get the ones to fit Force from a number of aftermarket sources.

The shift (control) end may have to change as well. What I have found is as follows:

To advance the throttle on the Mercs I have seen, the throttle cable must get "shorter" at the engine end. Moving the lever on the control "pulls" the cable.

On the Force it "pushed" the cable to make it longer.

So on the couple that I have switched over I had to reverse the cam in the shift controller.

Additionally, on the control itself it had a different anchor point for the cables.

The ones I have done all had US Marine shifters which had the mounting points clearly marked for OMC, Merc and Force.

So, first off, I would make sure that when you advance your throttle that it is either sending the cable the way it should, or that it can be changed to do so.

You may find that you will have to replace the control otherwise..."

Back