Logo

Engine wonbt rev past 3000 alternator wonbt self excite

robert_c

"Hello all!
volvo penta bb225

"Hello all!
volvo penta bb225b in a tiara 2700 1984, these are 305 chevy blocks
last season the starboard engine stopped charging but ran strong this season I replased the alternators with arco units and now it doesn't charge unless I excite it and the engine bogs down at 3000 rpm. I have been treating these issues independently because when I excite the alternator the engings reving problem persists. changed the fuel pump, swaped carbs with the port engine, swaped coils, they both have oil leaking under the wire but tested good but have new ones to go in todayas will as new wires already installed new plugs and points.
I am trying to get a clear understanding about the relationship between the alternator failing to excite and the engine not reving. Do these systems share electrical components/connections that could cause these problems? also the batteries are new all seems good and fully charged. Oil preasure guage goes to the middle and doesn't fluxuate with engine, the resistor on alternator called 61 doesn't show continuity so I swapped it with the other, no effect. I checked the distributers advance and all seems to be good,
Well, I know this post is a mess but I hope it conveys that I am at my wits end and could use some help.
Thank you"

"Sounds like the engine is sta

"Sounds like the engine is starving. Suggest you recheck filters and anti-siphon valves, if any. If you haven't done so already, run engine at high rpm and check timing with a strobe. Don't over rev."

"Sounds like you have two sepe

"Sounds like you have two seperate problems.
One is the rpm issue, the other being the alternator issue.
Dennis is right about the rpm thing. Sounds as if the engine is starving for fuel. Check the filters and antisiphon valve. May have a restriction.
As far as the alternator,you have what I think is some kind of wiring issue. If they will charge when you excite them with 12 volts, there is an open somewhere. Check the fuses first. Even if they look ok, they may be corroded and have lost contact. Just a thought......"

Back