Logo

Help please AQ120B and 270

shortcut11

"Good morning, I took my 81 R

"Good morning, I took my 81 Renken to the river yesterday to get everything sorted out with the shift throttle cable. the engine was running great, so I took her for a spin, about 20 minutes into the run I felt a strong vibration through out the hull and the engine or outdrive started to make a whining grinding noise. My prop is chewed up a little bit, so I put it in neutral and revved the engine. Vibration stopped but sound continued. I limped her back to the dock while watching temp and oil pressure the entire time. Once home I put it on the garden hose and the sound is there, sounds like the area when engine mates to outdrive. Also I found sea weed in the raw water tank in the little strainer.
Does this sound like my Universal joint is going out? Would the sound indicate something else?

Please help, I appreciate any ideas at this point."

"U-joint and/or intermediate s

"U-joint and/or intermediate shaft bearings sounds likely. Better take the drive off for a closer check, or at least the drive top. If the bearings in the intermediate shaft are gone, the engine must out."

if you have got some weed arou

if you have got some weed around the prop this will sometimes cause a vibration & cavitation.did you stop and have a look at the prop and clear any weed that is on it.its just a thought because it has happened to me on occasions.

"thank you for all your help s

"thank you for all your help so far..
Stan, I cleared the prop twice and when I raised it, everything looked fine. Also I noticed this morning that when hooked up to the hose on the dry the sound remains."

I would go with morton's s

I would go with morton's suggestions...........Take the upper housing off and check the u-joints first. Hope that is the problem. It's a lot easier than the shaft bearing because you don't have to remove the engine to do that. You will with the shaft bearing.

"I had a simalar vibration on

"I had a simalar vibration on a aq140a hooked upto a 280 legg.Turned out to be the little bearing behind the drive plate and the plate itself.Well engine was out i got em to do the big bearings on intermidiate shaft as well but check the uj,s first easy job.I still get a slight vibration under load on a turn but not worth bothering with not the sound where you think something is gonna let go if you know the feeling..."

"Keith, your boat's vibrat

"Keith, your boat's vibration could be related to the universal joint. If a U-joint spider is stiff that part will thump pretty hard in a turn but perform without fuss on the straightaway."

"Yes have replaced the uj,s ma

"Yes have replaced the uj,s made no diferance at all so puzzled hence i have left it now.One guy did say it could be the bearings in the lower drive shaft to the prop which take alot of load under a turn but not pulling it apart for that."

Back