Logo

DF140 wonbt startwill crank but not turn over

jahman311

"My wife and I went out for a

"My wife and I went out for a cruise on Monday. 2002 Suzuki started great.(never had a problem before)We arrived at our destination and I was backing up to move into deeper water and all of a sudden the engine stopped. I tried to restart it and it would crank, but not turn over. After letting the engine rest, I attempted it again only to find the same result. I did notice the battery, fuel, and rpm indicators didnt register at key turn, thought it might be fuse...none blown. We had to walk boat 2 miles before hailing passerby. The engine has less than 75 hours and recently had 100 hour service conducted. Heat of summer...I want to be on my boat!What can it be???? Please help."

"Sounds like the first time I

"Sounds like the first time I knocked the safety lanyard loose. It was not all the way off, just cocked sideways a very little. The starter would crank, but there is was no ignition. I checked everything, with no luck. Called a buddy to come tow me in, and he found it in 30 seconds! Pretty embarassing cause he was always calling me to figure out most of his electrical problems."

"I tried the Kill switch with

"I tried the Kill switch with no luck. When i used to turn the key to the on position, I could hear the fuel pump activate. Since that day, i have not been able to hear it. I also don't seem to get any reading on my instrument panel..."

I'll try that. I'm not

I'll try that. I'm not very mechanically inclined...how do i test for that? (thanks for the response JIT...it seems you are very knowledgable in these forums)

"OK got it started and have ta

"OK got it started and have taken it out several times, however, sometimes when I crank the motor, the stream of water that is leaves the engine is sometimes very weak. I've started to notice a trend that when the water is ejected strong, I have no problems, and when it is weak, I stall out and the engine turn but not crank until after a few minutes. I just had the water pump replaced at the begining of the season. I am very leary when taking the boat out and have no confidence on the water. Any suggestions on what this might be?"

sounds like a cooling problem

sounds like a cooling problem
might want to double check all parts of the cooling system

Back