Logo

1999 43gi idles fine then shuts down

2dogsbarking

"I started having an issue wit

"I started having an issue with my port engine. It starts up fine, runs fine for almost 4 minutes on the dot, then shuts itself down. I called the local marina repair shop to come out and run the Volvo diag tool. They came out all right, didn't run the tool, but told me I needed a tuneup in both engines, which they would do for me at $600 plus, and I would be delighted with the results. I declined, performed the tune up myself with my nephew who's a pretty good mechanic, and still have the same issue. We have swapped the following with the good performing engine to troubleshoot the problem; TP, temperature, MAP sensors, and the actual ECM unit. Also swapped out the fuel sensor relays. Still shuts down at 4 minutes. When it first happened I was on my out of the Marina. Once out, I fired the engine and it ran fine under load between 3200 and 3800 rpm and ran at idle forward just fine after about a 1/2 hour run, but after cooling down shut down again at start up after 4minutes. I spoke with another mechanic (unfortunately he can't do the diags on my boat for another week), and he suggested either the high or low pressure fuel pump. Has anyone had this specific problem and what was the cure, or anyone have any suggestions.

Thank you."

"I had a similar problem with

"I had a similar problem with my 4.3L. I rebuilt the carb, replaced all the fuel lines, replaced the fuel pump, numerous water seperators were changed, cleaned out the fuel tank and pick-up, and put thread tape on all fuel connections, and tuned it up...and still had the problem. What cured the problem was removing the anti-syphon valve (which is located on the fuel pick-up top - fuel line connects to it - looks like a regular hose barb). The way to test if this is your problem - check your fuel vacuum. If it's over 1 inch of vac at idle, you may have a problem. Mine was at 4 inches before removing the anti-syphon valve (replaced with a hose barb). I hope this helps."

"Oh...I forgot. I also replace

"Oh...I forgot. I also replaced the fuel pump relay, too.
I also installed an in-line primer bulb to get me back to the dock if I had problems during my diagnostic trials. That little gem is still in there.
Good luck!"

"UPDATE - Hello all, thanks Ri

"UPDATE - Hello all, thanks Rick for your advise. Well I was supposed to take the boat into mechanic last week, but weather was bad so couldn't make it. Would you believe I fired that problem engine up on Sunday and it ran like a champ. Idled for at least 10 minutes and did not shut down. I ran it out and it was fine.
Only think I can think of is that boat was idle for several weeks when I had a prop problem and maybe fuel system was gummed up. I added a new full tank of gas with the appropriate amount of fuel system cleaner, so maybe something was gummed up and is now finally cleared."

Back