Logo

What are Mariner like 30hp 1991 yr

"Jim that horsepower/model yea

"Jim that horsepower/model year means it was built completely by Yamaha.

By the mid-90's, Merc had pretty much severed most of it's ties with Yami (too bad) and these models were left orphaned.

They are however, exceptionally well built. A number of parts are still available from Merc and people have had varying success obtaining parts from Yamaha.

Although these are really a Yamaha, they were built to Merc specs (and sold as a Mariner), so some parts are unique..."

"Jim, at this point it is majo

"Jim, at this point it is major components -

Can't get a carb (complete), flywheel, autoblend etc.

Numerous small components are no longer available. The day is coming when these will be completely orphaned by Merc. It's at that point where either parts are found in the aftermarket, used market or possibly some from Yamaha..."

"So I would take it better to

"So I would take it better to stay away and look at other brands as it will be a part promblem later I thank you for the Info has helped as I wasn,t sure of the story about the mariner that is"

"Jim given the choice, I would

"Jim given the choice, I would go with either an entirely Merc (which still had Yamaha powerhead and gears but was a "Merc" and is still supported) or a Yamaha (own brand).

These were probably the best outboards ever built in the "low-mid" and lower horsepower engines.

I personally prefer the Merc because of the ignition system, which is super reliable and because they are so prolific in my area. This means that spare parts are very much available.

Service should always be one of your first concerns when you are looking at a used motor..."

Back