Logo

Help with info on changing a OMC Cobra inner shift cable

dpsa98

Hi everyone. I have a 1991 OMC

Hi everyone. I have a 1991 OMC Cobra that bogs down and sputters and sometimes cuts out when I shift from foreward to reverse. I had my boat mechanic change a sensor that he was sure was the problem but it still does it. I was told it was more than likley the inner shift cable. My boat mechanic told me if that is the problem im looking at somewhere between $600-700 to fix it. Is this something that I can do myself at home? I have the Clymer shop manual but it shows nothing about changing the inner shift cable. Have any of you done this on your own or would I just get it apart and end up spending more money to have the mechanic put it all together again?
Thank you for any help you can give.

I have a 1987 4.3 liter cobra

I have a 1987 4.3 liter cobra drive and had to replace the shift cable from the electronic shift assist switch assembly to the outdrive. This might be what you are refering to as inner shift cable. I performmed the proceedure in the OMC manual and had no problems.

Make sure you have the outdrive gasket kit before you remove the outdrive and lubricate the bellcrank as per instruction.

Might as well lubricate the universal joints on the main shaft and check the engine alignment to the gimbal bearing while you're there.

One caution; if you have never had the outdrive off and then reinstalled it can be a bit of a struggle getting the spline drive shaft engaged into the engine adapter. If you don't have an outdrive dolly to carry the unit when it is off the boat be prepared to handle the weight.

Jim

"Jim ,
Thank you for your rep

"Jim ,
Thank you for your reply I have been waiting to hear from someone to see if this is something I could attempt myself. Yes your repair sounds exactly like what I need to do. What manual did you use for the repair and if I follow the directions with your warnings about the gaskets, lube and weight of the outdrive you think someone could do it at home without problem?

Thanks again,
Dave"

"Hi Dave:
The first time I re

"Hi Dave:
The first time I removed my outdrive I parked the boat in my garage, put a threaded eyebolt in the upper gearcase lubrication fill hole, and lifted the drive with a com-a-long. But after I handled the outdrive off the boat I don't bother with the com-a-long anymore.

Also, the guy who wrote the page at this link may have helpful info if the OMC manual doesn't work for you. http://www.hastings.org/~stuart/cobra/

Jim"

"Hi Jim,

I really appreciat

"Hi Jim,

I really appreciate your help with this. I think Im going to order the gasket set and give it a try in the next couple weeks. I guess the worse thing that can happen is I have to through the outdrive in the back of the boat and take it to the mechanic.

Thanks Again,
Dave"

What makes you think your mech

What makes you think your mechanic is right? He was wrong on the first one. I might check out the position and condition of your ESA switches first.

"I agree with Glenn. I should

"I agree with Glenn. I should have mentioned to you that I have had to repair my switch assembly once. The cam follower roller\actuator for interupter circuit came off. If you need help with details on the fix I can Email them to you.

If I were you I would make sure most of all that the the engine will idle smoothly to manual spec on rpm's; (550-650 rpm). If it won't idle to spec, do what,ever it takes maitainancewise, to achieve idle spec(ignition system, fuel feed, any other mechanical issues. The reason is, if the engine won't idle correctly at spec idle rpm's it will have trouble when the interupter circuit reduces the engine rpm's at shift.

Let us know how it rus at spec idle.

Jim"

"I can't thank you enough

"I can't thank you enough for your all of your input. I have been waiting for my gasket set to come in but in the mean time I will check the Idle. I would be it's a bit on the high side. I should be able to work on it a bit this Sunday and see what it reads. I will post back and I may end up needing the details for that fix. I will keep you posted.

Thanks Again,
Dave"

Back